Book a Nationality Document Return Service appointment
The Nationality Document Return Service (NDRS) is for people who have already applied online to become British citizens.
An NDRS Agent will send certified copies of the customer’s supporting documentation, including passports and/or travel documents, to the Home Office on their behalf.
This service allows customers to retain their original documents whilst the Home Office considers their application for citizenship.
- Before attending the office
Complete the relevant online application at GOV.UK
You must attend the office within 10 working days of submitting your online form.
You can book your appointment by calling 0300 555 1392 (Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm). Your call will be directed to the relevant local Register Office.
Appointments are usually available on Tuesdays at Winchester and Fareham; Wednesdays at Basingstoke, and Thursdays at Aldershot, subject to availability.
Families can make a joint application. Children under 18 do not need to attend the office in person but parents must ensure that all relevant documents including passports are presented.
- What to bring
- Document Checklist displaying the Payment Notification Number (PNN) for each person applying
- Original referee pages with photograph attached
- All supporting documentation which you would like submitted to the Home Office in support of your online application. The NDRS agents cannot provide any advice on the supporting documents you choose to submit
- If you are opting to have your passport application checked please see Section 4 of this page
30 January 2018 to 31 March 2018
1 April 2018 to 31 October 2018
Fees apply to applications for adults and children and are inclusive of VAT.
The fee for your appointment is payable at the time of booking and is non-refundable.
There is an additional postage charge for using this service which will be taken during your appointment and is dependent on the weight of your application. Royal Mail postage prices.
Applications are sent by next day special delivery. Family applications may be sent in one package.
You can pay by credit or debit card.
See Section 6 for full Terms and Conditions.
- Passport checking
This service costs an additional £16 per applicant; this fee is payable at the time of booking and is non-refundable. Applications must be made using the standard British Passport application form available from the Post Office. The key advantages of using the passport checking service are:
- we will check the accuracy of your passport application form
- you will not require a counter signature on the passport application form
- you will not have to attend a passport interview with the UK Passport Office
- your passport application will be processed as soon as you have attended a citizenship ceremony and you will receive your passport at home within 20 working days
If you are choosing to use the Citizenship and Passport Checking Service, follow the steps detailed below when completing your passport application:
- applicants should complete Sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 (if applicable) and 9 of the passport application form. You do not need to complete Section 10 or have your 2 photographs certified as details of referees will be collected as part of your citizenship application
- the photographs submitted with both applications (3 in total) must be identical (i.e. from the same sitting) and comply with the photo standards as described in the accompanying guidance. The applicant's name and date of birth should be written on the back of all photographs
- Section 1: Any applicant within 6 months of their 16th birthday at the time of application must attend the appointment in person
- Section 2: Please do not enter a mobile phone number in section 2 of the application form. Please enter it in Section 8 instead
- Section 4: Grandparents’ details are not required
- if you are unsure about any requirements leave the section of the form blank and complete it at your appointment.
Passport Application Fees
See GOV.uk - Passport Fees
- What happens next
Using the Nationality Document Return Service does not guarantee that your application for British Citizenship will be successful or that a decision will be reached any more quickly. The decision to approve your application rests entirely with the Home Office.
The Home Office may contact you for further information after your documents have been submitted.
The Home Office will contact you directly to advise you of the outcome of your application.
If your application for Citizenship is successful your British Passport will be posted to your home after you have attended a Citizenship Ceremony.
- Terms and Conditions
Your appointment fee is paid to Hampshire County Council for booking a Nationality Document Return Service appointment and is non-refundable.
The fee paid to the Home Office for your online application is separate and does not include the Nationality Document Return Service fee.
There is an additional postage charge for using this service which will be taken during your appointment.
Your fee cannot be refunded and your application cannot be submitted to the Home Office if any of the following conditions apply:
- if you fail to attend your appointment
- if you produce insufficient documentation
- if your online application was made more than 10 working days prior to attending an NDRS appointment
If you are late for your appointment, it may not be possible to see you. You will need to book a new appointment and pay another appointment fee.
All applicants over the age of 18 must attend an appointment, having completed the online application form before the appointment and attend with all supporting documents, ready for photocopying by the NDRS agent
If you wish to move your appointment you must give 7 full working days notice, otherwise a full fee will be payable again. An appointment can only be moved once.
By booking an appointment you agree to all of the terms and conditions above.