Feed hygiene

This advice is designed to provide basic guidance to traders. It is not a complete or authoritative statement of the law. Please note that some of the advice we provide to businesses is chargeable.

Who is affected?

From the 1st January 2006 new legislation came into place. These apply to all businesses that make, use or market animal feeds including farms. Retailers that only sell pet food are not caught by this legislation.

The aim of the legislation is to complete the farm to fork approach of food law so that the whole of the food chain is covered by hygiene legislation.

How does it affect me?

The new Feed Hygiene Regulations require registration with the local Authority of all feed businesses, except pet shops and for the feeding of animals kept for the sole consumption by the owner.

If you are not registered yet but think you need to be or have any queries about feed hygiene matters please make contact by email at tsadvice@hants.gov.uk or phone 01962 833620.

How do I register?

Use the application form below:  

Application with a view to Registration or Approval under the EC Feed Hygiene Regulations

See also the guide to registration categories

What are the feed hygiene rules?

For most farms/transporters etc the basic rules that apply are: 

If you use premixtures or ‘straight’ feed additives then more stringent rules apply: 

  • Annex II (Requirements for Feed Businesses other than at the level of primary production of feed referred to in Article 5(1))

If you are a livestock farmer (including fish farms) and you do not mix feeds or you mix feeds without additives you would need to be registered under R13 (farms). This could include making silage or haylage (without using additives).

If you are an arable farm growing or selling crops for feed you would need to be registered under R14 (farms). For example if you grow cereals, wheat, barley or food crops, e.g. potatoes, for use as feed.

Further guidance

Animal feed legislation and guidance (Food Standards Agency)