Explosives licensing

This advice is designed to provide basic guidance to traders. It is not a complete or authoritative statement of the law. Please note that some of the advice we provide to businesses is chargeable.

How to apply

You need to apply for a lower tier licence if you wish to store a maximum of either:

  • 30 kgs of Hazard Type 1 or 2 explosives
  • 100 kgs of Hazard Type 3 explosives
  • 250 kgs of Hazard Type 4 explosives

The quantities allowed depend on individual locations (eg separation distances from other buildings, footpaths etc).

Most consumer fireworks, shotgun ammunition, marine distress flares etc are Hazard Type 4 explosives. If you are in any doubt consult your supplier.

If you wish to store more than the above quantities, up to a maximum of 2000 kgs of any Hazard Type, then you need to apply for an upper tier licence.

However, if any of the explosives you wish to store require a Police Certificate under the Control of Explosives Regulations, you will have to apply to Hampshire Police. Phone 01962 841500 (Firearms and Licensing Section) for a licence.

To store quantities in excess of 2000 kgs of any Hazard Type you will have to apply to the Health and Safety Executive.

License fees

Licences run from 1 October to the following 30 September.

Type Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year 4 Year 5
New upper tier licence £185 £243 £304 £374 £423
Upper tier renewal £86 £147 £206 £266 £326
New lower tier licence £109 £141 £173 £206 £238
Lower tier renewal £54 £86 £120 £152 £185

All year round license £500

Storage licence application

Application for a Storage Licence under the Explosives Regulations 2014

Hampshire County Council
Trading Standards Service
Culture, Communities and Business Services
Montgomery House
Monarch Way
Hampshire SO22 5PW


See Business Companion's guidance on Fireworks for an in-depth guide to the sale of fireworks, including licensing, categories of fireworks and age restriction.