Petroleum licensing

This advice is designed to provide basic guidance to traders. It is not a complete or authoritative statement of the law. Please note that some of the advice we provide to businesses is chargeable.

We are the Petroleum Enforcement Authority for Hampshire and for Portsmouth City but not the city of Southampton.

Petrol Storage Certificates

From 1 October 2014, The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 have replaced the requirement to licence your petrol storage with a requirement to hold a Petroleum Storage Certificate (PSC).

If you require a PSC, your premises will be subject to an inspection by one of our team to ensure that they are suitable for storing petrol. The frequency of inspections is determined by a risk rating of your premises.

The annual cost for a PSC for quantities under 2,500 litres is £45, over 2,500 litres but below 50,000 litres is £61; and for storage of petrol in excess of 50,000 litres the fee is £128.

If you have any doubt as to whether you require a PSC you should use the Petroleum certificate form below.

In brief, you will probably need a PSC if you store over 30 litres of petrol at home or if you have a business and dispense petrol mechanically or electrically into motor vehicles.

Storage of petrol in cans or containers at Business Premises is now regulated by Environmental Health Officers or the Health and Safety Executive and not by Trading Standards.

Storage of petrol in cans or containers in domestic premises is still regulated by this service. Petrol should never be stored inside residential accommodation, including integral garages.

To apply

Once we receive your completed form we will call you within 5 days to make an appointment to inspect your proposed storage.