Training and Practice - Monday 6 – Thursday 9 April 2020 – Brecon Beacons
Assessed – Monday 20 – Friday 24 July 2020 – Peak District
DofE Expedition Kit List
The DofE Expedition Kit List is your essential checklist when preparing the kit you need for your DofE expedition. Hampshire Outdoors will provide tents, stoves, pans, gas and compasses.
As you will be providing your own food for the duration of the expeditions see the eating on your expedition resource.
How to pack a rucksack
Your rucksack is very important. Get it right, and it can make your expedition. Get it wrong, and you could be in for a long, uncomfortable journey. Check out this DofE resource on packing your rucksack.
Training and practice - 4 days
Day 1 - training
- Meet and greet, get to know each other and get into our expedition teams.
- With your instructor you will find a suitable pitch and put up tents
- After setting up camp you and your team will go through basic map skills with your dedicated instructor
- Once you and your instructor are ready you can put everything in practice and head out on an afternoon walk
- When you return to base you will have a chance to look at stoves and given a safety demo
- After cooking your dinner on the stoves, you will head to the classroom for a group briefing on the Countryside Code, First Aid and Emergency procedures.
Day 2 - training
- Rise and shine! Breakfast, then depart for a days training in the hills with your expedition team and dedicated instructor.
- On the walk you will have the opportunity to build on group skills and navigate through more difficult terrain than experienced at Bronze and Silver.
- On return to base camp, after your dinner, you will head to the classroom to complete your assessment route and route cards.
Day 3 and 4 - practice
- Rise and shine! Breakfast and then depart on your pre planned expedition with your team with full expedition equipment.
- You will be monitored throughout by your dedicated instructor using remote supervision and check pointing at set locations.
- At the end of your expedition you will have a debrief by your dedicated instructor who will give you some action points to take away with you ready for the assessed expedition.
Qualifying - 5 days
Day 1 - acclimatisation day
- Meet and great and welcome back your expedition team. Meet your dedicated instructor.
- Your instructor will go conduct a kit and bag check. Making sure you are fully prepared.
- Meet your assessor who will give you a detailed expedition briefing and agree assessment route meet locations
- For dinner you can cook on stoves or head to the local pub for dinner. Staff will be at campsite or the pub to ensure everyone has a full belly ready for the start of the expedition the following day.
Days 2, 3 and 4 - qualifying
- Its down to you now! You will be monitored throughout the expedition by your dedicated instructor using remote supervision and check points at set locations.
- We will always ensure we see you arrive safely in camp.
Day 5 - qualifying
It’s the final day! Hoorah! Head off smiling knowing that you will be met by the assessor for a debrief and group presentation.
How to book your place
- If you want to sign up you must be over the age of 16 and enrolled onto the Gold DofE Award.
- Book online
- Or drop us an email if you have any further questions.