Review of Governance
Use our experts to support your review
- Reasons to consult us
A comprehensive review of the governing body’s work from Hampshire governor services…led to an action plan being quickly put in place to address weaknesses
- Ofsted 2013
- Established service with 20 years experience of supporting governing bodies across all phases and types of schools
- Established track record of supporting governors through challenging change processes
- Established track record of conducting reviews over many years
- Experienced, serving governors who understand governance
- Integrated working with other school improvement professionals
- Professional, responsive service to support you to achieve improvement
- Review tailored to individual circumstances of your school
- When to commission a review
You should seek a review of your governance arrangements:
Schools do not need to wait for an Ofsted inspection recommendation to seek a review. Any school can arrange a review of governance at any time in order to improve the effectiveness of the work of the governing body.
- if recommended as a result of an Ofsted inspection
- when a school/academy decides that a review would be helpful as part of an on-going process to develop and improve governance
- Purpose of a review
Any review is intended to improve and develop governance. Ultimately, the real test of improvement is the governing body’s positive impact on pupils’ attainment and achievement.A review is not an additional inspection. It provides the governing body with an experienced external perspective on how it is working, and what actions it could take to improve.
- Review summary
A review will usually include:
- a meeting with Head and Chair to discuss and agree the review focus and process
- remote over-view of paperwork
- written summary of findings with clear and specific development areasworkshop with the Chair of Governors /Committee Chairs to produce an action plan for development and improvement
- support to develop the monitoring plan for the governing body to ensure it is embedded in the school development plan
It will also include other activity to support the governing body self-evaluation, for example:
- attendance at a FGB or Committee to observe practice and feedback
governing body self-evaluation (facilitated) session
- Cost of a review
Schools and academies are responsible for paying for a review of governance. The exact cost of a review will depend on the work required and will be a matter for agreement between the school/academy and Hampshire Governor Services. It is likely to be in the range of £1125 to £1350. Costs may be slightly more where travel outside of Hampshire may be required, please contact us to discuss your individual requirements. For academies, please contact us for a quote as the cost will depend on the structure of the governance arrangements.
The Local Authority may in some circumstances cover an element of the cost. Governing bodies which subscribe to our training services may use their whole governing body entitlement to reduce the cost. We believe that each review process should reflect the needs of the school situation and take into account the context. We will work with you to decide what review is appropriate to support the board in achieving improvement.
- Contact us
To find out more or to arrange a review of governance call us on 01962 845706 or email email@example.com
Provide your contact details and we'll make sure the right person gets in touch with you to discuss your needs.