Does your child or do your pupils enjoy writing?
Enter our creative writing competition for the chance to win yourself some books and £150 of books for your school!
We invite all our primary age pupils to submit a work of fiction related to our theme of how what people eat affects the planet. Writers can interpret the theme in any way they choose, as long as their story has something to do with the theme.
We will showcase the winning entries on our web site so writers can see their own work online!
A new year brings new ideas and changes to what we do. How can you impact our planet by what you eat?
Entrants are encouraged to think about the following influences when they think of what to write in their stories. These are:
- Why they eat what they eat
- What impact this has on the planet
- What would they like to change about what food they, or others, eat
Submissions are open to any pupil who eats in a primary school where we provide the catering. We know that schools never have enough books and would love to encourage more reading so there will be a £25 book token prize for the first place winner in each age range and their winning school will receive £150 bundle of books for their school library. We will also award some runner up prizes for highly commended writers.
How to enter
- Visit The Word Forest Organisation to complete online.
- Or scan and email your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘writing competition’ in the subject box. Entries must include child’s name, year group, and school.
If parents/guardians are sending entries direct to HC3S, they must include child’s name, an adult’s contact number and email address, their school and state where they heard about it. Data will only be kept for the purposes of the competition and associated publicity.
All submissions must be related to our theme. Please keep stories to 100 words for flash fiction (age 5-7 years) and up to 500 words for the short story (age 8-11 years).
Terms and Conditions
Deadline: Friday January 31 at 5 pm.
- Previously published pieces are not eligible for submission and entries must be pupils’ own work. Please do not send multiple submissions even if you are enthusiastic!
- Winners consent to participate in any related publicity.
- Competition is open to children in all primary schools where HC3S provide catering.
- No changes can be made once entries have been submitted. The decision of the judges is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winners will be contacted by email and a notice published on Facebook within three weeks. Two school libraries will receive books to the value of £150. One winner from each age group will have an overall prize of £25. HC3S reserve the right to award runner up prizes in both age groups.
Follow us on Facebook for updates on our writing competition!
The competition will be judged by a team that will include:
- Soil Association Food for Life Served Here
- Hampshire Library Service
- our generous sponsor Phat Pasty Company and the charity it supports, the Word Forest Organisation
- Love British Food ambassadors such as founder Alexia Robinson, Lizzie Carr from Plastic Patrol and Great British Bake Off Winner 2016 Candice Brown