Help with travel
Travel to college, training or work
If you have a disability or learning difficulty the Council may be able to help you with travel to college. We may be able to provide a taxi, for example, to help you get to and from college.
If you’re struggling with travel to get to work, college or training, Wheels to Work could help you
- How to apply
- Meeting the criteria
To apply you must:
- be under 19 years old on 1 September in the year your course starts
- have had a Statement of Educational Need (SEN) or Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) during your time at school
- have a medical condition that means you need help with transport. This must be explained in a note from your Doctor
Your journey to college must:
- be more than three miles away from your home
We also consider:
- your ability to walk
- if an adult needs to come with you (usually a parent or guardian) and their ability to walk
- if you have brothers or sisters that need to be taken to a primary school, but this is nowhere near your college. This means that your parent or guardian couldn’t go with you, or take you to college themselves
- Further information
We can help with travel to the nearest college that runs the courses you need to do to help you with your career. We may also help you with travel if you are still at the same school but are in sixth form instead.
We will ask your parents or guardians to contribute £570 a year towards the transport costs. But, if your parents are in receipt of certain benefits we will not ask for this.
The benefits we take into account are:
- Income Support
- Employment and Support Allowance (income based)
- income based Jobseekers’ Allowance, or Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
If you have to study outside of Hampshire at a boarding school or college because of your disability (if you need special help); you may be eligible for assistance with travel to get to school or college when each term starts and ends.
email email@example.com for more information.