Complaints and appeals

From the day you join the pension scheme, decisions are made under the pension scheme rules that affect you (or your dependants). When you are notified of a decision, you should check, as far as you can, that it is based on the correct details and that you agree with the decision.

If you are not happy with the way your pension scheme membership has been dealt with, or the service you have received from us, let us know, as most problems can be sorted out quickly. We are happy to put right any mistake that may have occurred and an informal enquiry of this kind may save you a lot of time and trouble.

How do I make a complaint?

If you want to make a formal complaint about a decision that has been made in relation to your pension, or about the service that you have received from us, write to:

Rob Carr
The Castle
SO23 8UB

What happens and how long will it take?

The complaint will be investigated by a senior manager and a full reply will be given to you. If we’ve got something wrong, we will do our best to put it right. We will admit our mistakes and offer a full apology. We will review our policies and procedures to try and stop it happening again.

We will acknowledge your complaint within five working days from the date of receipt and tell you how long it will take to give you a full reply. We try to respond quickly to complaints and to reply to you within 20 working days.

Sometimes, due to the complexity of the complaint, we will not be able to meet this timescale. If this happens we will write to you and keep you fully informed of the progress being made.

Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure (IDRP)

Making an informal enquiry, or formal complaint, does not affect your statutory right to have your dispute heard under the Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure (IDRP).

You can use the IDRP if you are not happy with any decision affecting you made in relation to the Scheme. You also have the right to use the procedure if a decision should have been made by your employer or administering authority, but it hasn't been.

The IDRP is a two stage process in which the decision which has been made is reviewed by an independent person.

Who can use the IDRP?

You can use the formal process if you are:

  • An active, deferred or pensioner member – Someone who is paying into the scheme, or who used to pay in, or who is receiving a pension
  • A prospective member – Someone who is not yet a member, but could become one if their employer brings them in or they choose to join
  • A dependant – Someone who is the widow, widower, surviving civil or nominated partner, or a child of a member or prospective member

You can also use this process if you think you should fall into one of these categories, or you did so in the last six months.

You can choose to have someone else represent you, and this representative can be whoever you like – a friend, relative, solicitor, union representative, etc.

Complaints and appeals

Complaints and appeals leaflet