Annual Allowance and Life Time Allowance
- Annual allowance
The Annual allowance (AA) is the amount by which the value of your Pension benefits may grow (Pension Savings) in any one tax year without you having to pay a tax charge. The standard AA limit has been set at £40,000 since 2016.
If the total value of your Pension Savings in any one tax year, including all Pension Savings in all pension schemes, is in excess of the AA limit, the excess will be taxed as income at your highest marginal rate of tax.
You are most likely to be affected if you:
- have a lot of membership or pension built up in the Scheme and you receive a significant pay increase, or promotion, and/or;
- are a high income earner, and/or
- pay a high level of additional contributions towards your pension, and/or
- have accessed flexible benefits from another pension scheme on or after 6 April 2015
Hampshire Pension Services will automatically inform you if your Pension Savings in this scheme exceed the standard AA limit in any tax year by no later than 6 October of the following tax year.
For more information on Annual Allowance, see the HMRC guidance on Annual allowance.
- Standard Lifetime allowance
The lifetime allowance (LTA) is a limit on the total value of your pension savings that you can have without triggering an excessive benefits tax charge.
- your benefits in this scheme, and
- any pension benefits you may have in other tax-registered pension arrangements
But it does not include state pensions and dependant's pensions.
If the value of your pension benefits, when they come into payment, is more than the LTA, or more than any protections you may have, you will have to pay tax on the excess benefits.
The LTA for 2018/19 was set at £1.03 million and thereafter will be increased each year in line with inflation, currently using the Consumer Price Index (CPI). For 2019/20 this is set at £1.055 million.
The current value of your LTA is shown on your Annual Benefit Statement.
For more information on LTA, see the HMRC guidance on Lifetime allowance.
If you have specific LTA protections contact Pension Services.