The 50/50 section is another alternative to opting out.
It allows you to remain in the scheme but pay half your normal contributions, and build up half the normal pension.
As a member of the 50/50 section you will benefit from:
- full life assurance cover
- full ill heath retirement cover
- full survivor's benefits in the event of your death
In other words, the above cover is the same as if you were in the main section.
Your employer must move you back into the main section of the LGPS after a while:
- at your automatic enrolment date
- if you move onto nil pay whilst on sick leave, ordinary maternity/adoption or paternity leave
- if you elect to opt back into the main section
If you want to pay into the 50/50 section you must notify your employer. You can do this by using the LGPS 50/50 form. Once completed you must send this form to your employer. Do not send it to Pension Services.