Police Pension Scheme - frequently asked questions

Pensions in payment

If you cannot find the information you would like here, please contact us.

Can you confirm the amount of my monthly pension?

This information will be on your most recent pension advice slip. You can view this through our Member Portal.

Can you confirm the amount of pension I received between certain dates?

Your most recent pension payslip would let you know how much pension we pay each month. You could also check your pension P60. Both are available through our Member Portal.

I have not received my pension this month, what’s happened?

If you have not received your pension please contact us as soon as possible.

  • If the pension is due to be paid on a Saturday, Sunday or bank holiday we pay the pension on the weekday before. Please look at the pension pay dates page to see if this might have happened to your pension this month
  • If you have checked your account using online banking or at an ATM (cash point), some information may not show straight away. You could ask at your bank or building society, or try again the next day
  • If mail we sent you has been returned to us by Royal Mail, we may temporarily stop your pension. When you contact us, we may ask you to complete a form in the presence of a witness to make sure we are paying pension to the right person. We will begin paying your pension again as soon as possible, including any payments that were missed
  • Please write to us if you have moved home
  • Have you changed bank or building society? Perhaps you did not write to us in time for the payment to be made to your new account. Please check your old account if that is the case. You could also call us to see if we received the new details
Will my pension increase each year?

Pensions are increased yearly in line with inflation – this is called Pensions Increase. Pensions Increase is due in April each year.

  • If your pension has been in payment for less than a year, you will not receive full pensions increase
  • Your pension will not be increased if you are below age 55 (unless you retired due to ill health)

If you are eligible for Pensions Increase:

  • Your pension for April will include Pensions Increase to cover the part month April increase
  • Payments for May onwards will include pensions increase for the full month
  • there will not be any Pensions Increase in years when CPI is zero
What is the lifetime allowance on my P60?

The lifetime allowance (LTA) is set by HM Revenue and Customs. On your P60 we show you how much of the lifetime allowance you have used with this pension. A link to the HM Revenue and Customs website is on our useful links page.

The capital value of all of a person’s pension rights are tested against the lifetime allowance (LTA) each time they take pension benefits. If the total of all your pensions is more than the LTA (or any lifetime allowance protection) extra tax will be due on the excess.

The lifetime allowance does not include state retirement pension, state pension credit, spouse's, civil partner's or dependant's pensions.

How much of my lifetime allowance have I used with my pension?

We send all pensioners a P60 each May. Your P60 shows how much of the lifetime allowance you have used with your pension. If you have retired recently, this information will be on the retirement letter we sent to you.

When will I receive a pension payslip?

Your payslips are available online through our Member Portal.

How to tell us about the death of a pensioner

To tell us if a pensioner has died please telephone us on 01962 845588 as soon as possible. Other ways to contact us, and information about what will happen next, is on our page called Report a death.