As the lawyers of choice for over 500 maintained and academy schools in Hampshire, we offer years of experience and expertise in advising schools. We draw on knowledge and insight gained from working with colleagues from across the council to help deliver the right advice for you.
What might be out-of-the-blue and unusual for you will be the day-to-day for us. You can be sure that our team of 70 specialist lawyers have experienced a similar issue before and know how to help.
Whether it's a commercial contract, a complaint, a safeguarding issue, an employment matter, or just checking a small legal point – we have the knowledge and expertise to help.
Very impressed with overall service. Good advice when needed.
- Employment law covering contract of employment issues, employment transfers, redundancy and TUPE matters, dismissals, appeals, governing body hearings, trade union relations and industrial action
- Property law including dealing with existing site occupiers, and options for termination/relocation to maximise educational use of the site
- Contractual issues and disputes including matters arising out of the development of the site and responsibilities arising under grant agreements
- Neighbour disputes trespassers, threatening or abusive persons, claims for damage and anti-social behaviour
- Safeguarding matters arising under inter-agency arrangements with the police and Children's Services for safeguarding children, including compliance with statutory responsibilities towards child protection, and clarification of the current law relating to both private and public law proceedings
- Parental rights and responsibilities contact (access) issues, change of name, requests for witness statements from school staff in private proceedings
- Pupil records content, who has access, disclosure and inspection
- Special education needs disabilities and the administration of medicines
- Charging and income generation advice
- Exclusions and other disciplinary sanctions – grounds for exclusion and help with decision letters and governing body reviews
- Governing bodies advice on the law relating to governing bodies, their composition, and governor appointment/election procedures
- Pupil absence taking a pupil off roll and pupil admissions
- Equality and human rights issues, including advice on school uniforms
- Handling complaints advice
- Procurement issues, including the drafting and application of standing orders, and the retendering of catering services
- Debt recovery for sums above the small claims limit, with support and guidance to staff in pursuing lower value claims in-house
- Information compliance including Freedom of Information, Data Protection and GDPR
Benefits to schools
When we provide legal support to a school or MAT in and around Hampshire, we know that we are working with like-minded people who have education at the heart of what they do. By sharing our resource and wealth of knowledge, we can deliver a highly cost effective expert legal service that provides the best value for money.
School Legal Support
- Phone: 01962 847594
To access our prices for schools, contact us using the details above.