Removing barriers and inequalities in attainment and achievement is a priority for any headteacher. By working alongside you and using our specialist knowledge, we can help your school improve educational outcomes for children and young people from Black, Minority Ethnic (BME) and Traveller heritages, including those learning English as an additional language (EAL).
We understand the importance of fostering open and productive relationships between schools, parents, carers, children and young people to remove barriers to learning. Through our specialist resources and support, we provide expert advice, guidance and training to help raise attainment and close the performance gap for children and young people from BME and Traveller groups.
An invaluable service, keep up the good work.
Every child has the right to learn and use the language, customs and religion of their family, whether or not these are shared by the majority of the people in the country where they live.
- Bilingual support for children and young people at point of transfer into a new school in over 25 different languages
- Advice and training for teachers, senior leadership teams, EAL coordinators, GTRSB co-ordinators, governors, teaching assistants and office staff on all aspects of pedagogy, practice and provision for children at various stages of learning English as an additional language and their families and for children of Traveller heritages
- Full range of services to improve access and engagement and participation of Traveller children, young people and parents/carers
- Ofsted guidance, advice and training on closing gaps between the performance of Black and Minority Ethnic, including Gypsy, Traveller, Roma, Showmen and Boater (GTRSB) children
- EMTAS specialist teacher advice and support
- Guidance on the delivery of the Hampshire Young Interpreter Scheme®
- EAL and/or GTRSB Excellence Awards to develop and embed good practice
- Resources – loan of dual language books, dictionaries, Persona Dolls and artefacts
- Training for teachers, support staff and governors
- Phone line services for parents and practitioners in key languages
- Access to the EMTAS EAL/SEND phone line service
- EMTAS EAL and GTRSB e-learning modules
- Network meetings
Benefits to schools
- Over 25 years’ experience of working closely with Hampshire schools
- In-depth local knowledge and close links with ethnic minority communities
- Experts in our field, especially around interventions to raise achievement
- We provide a complete package for your inclusion and access to the curriculum needs for all your BME and Traveller pupils
- We are recognised leaders in the field of isolated bilingual learners
- We use approaches to increase learning and break down barriers e.g. our award winning ‘Young Interpreters’ scheme
- Our ‘whatever it takes’ approach means we will always go that extra mile to improve learning outcomes for your pupils