Outlook Web App
OWA is part of the Secure Access service.
It can be ordered through the Service Catalogue using the Secure Access Service option
- About OWA
OWA allows you to:
- Send and receive email
- Update your out of office
- Create personal contacts and use distribution lists
- Find details of other users using the address book
- Update your calendar, schedule meetings and accept meeting invitations
- Create and manage tasks
OWA is a secure way to access your email and calendar from any internet device (eg a remote site or at home) but please be aware of certain security issues when using it.
When you log on
- There is no option to save your password to a password list.
- You will need to tick a check box if you are using a private computer, such as an office, school or home computer. This will allow you to download attached documents and give you an increased ‘time out’ time of 12 hours.
- You must not check this box if you are using a public or shared computer, for example in a library or internet café. In this situation you will be ‘timed out’ after 15 minutes of inactivity and will not be able to download attached documents, only view them on a webpages. This is to provide heightened security.
When using OWA
You must make sure that your password and sensitive information cannot be overlooked when logging on in public locations.
Accessing Hampshire County Council's internal networks and services in public places poses a particular threat to the security of the County Council's networks and services.
If you logged into OWA without ticking I am using a private computer you will only be able to view attachments on a webpage. To view and save your attachments as normal, you need ensure you are using a private computer, such as an office or home computer, and tick I am using a private computer on the log in page.
It is recommended that you clear your cache after viewing attachments, so that no information is stored temporarily on your computer. See Emails for information on how to do this.
If you leave OWA inactive you will be disconnected for security reasons, and need to log on again.
OWA uses a secure authentication and encryption of data to protect your privacy but you must securely log off at the end of each OWA session.