Employment in Hampshire County Council 2007

18. Reimbursement of expenses

The County Council and the Trade Unions recognise that employees sometimes incur necessary expenditure in carrying out their responsibilities.

They support the principle that such expenditure should not result in an employee being out of pocket. At the same time, they agree that reimbursement of expenses should not provide an opportunity to make a profit from the expenditure.

Travel expenses

18.1 Travel Expenses These arrangements cover all payment of travel expenses to staff as a result of travel undertaken on business (including attending training) for the County Council.

↑ Back to top


18.2 The County Council will pay employees for all additional travel expenses necessarily incurred on County Council business.

This covers full reimbursement of all public transport costs and payment at a mileage rate irrespective of size for the use of private vehicles.

A users guide to claiming travelling expenses is available from the County Treasurer’s website.

18.3 This is consistent with the County Council's corporate priorities to:

  • help fulfil the Council's commitment to improve the environment,

  • help promote alternative transport strategies in the County by demonstrating best practice to other employers, and

  • continue the Council's commitment to the health of its employees by helping to reduce the stress caused from extensive driving.

18.4 Where travel is a required part of the employee's role, he/she will be expected to make the necessary arrangements.

18.5 In support of the Council's Green Travel Plan, staff are urged, in discussion with their line manager, to reduce car-based travel to a minimum and consider alternative ways of conducting council business.

18.6 Where travel is required, all practicable alternatives to personal car use e.g. public transport, use of pool cars, cycling etc. should be considered and discussed with the line manager. This will need to take account of the requirement to carry out the work in an efficient and effective manner.

18.7 Their decision will be final and there will be no further recourse through the County Council's grievance procedure.

18.8 The council reimburses all staff for undertaking business-related mileage at a rate for each mode of transport e.g. car, leased car, motorcycle, bicycles.

18.9 For bicycles and electric bicycles used for work duties, a monthly allowance will be paid and for occasional use a mileage rate will apply.


↑ Back to top

Rates and methods of payment

18.10 All public transport costs and additional car parking fees incurred in carrying out County Council business will be reimbursed by HCC as additions to salary payments subject to

  • appropriate claim forms indicating the nature of the business;

  • retaining receipts for all claims made;

  • all travel to be in standard class

18.11 All car mileage incurred in excess of home to workplace mileage will be paid at one of three rates irrespective of size of vehicle:

18.12 For the latest mileage rates :

  • Travel Claims, Allowance and Mileages.

  • Motorcycle mileage will be paid at a flat rate per mile.

18.13 Regular use of a bicycle/electric bicycle to carry out work duties will be paid at a monthly rate. The rate will be reviewed regularly to determine if any change is necessary.

18. 14 Occasional use of a bicycle/electric bicycle to carry out work duties will be paid at a rate per mile.

18.15 Payments for mileage will be reviewed each year having regard to NJC for Local Government Services arrangements and HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) rates where applicable.

18.16 The rates for car and motorcycle mileage are set as follows:


Basis of rate

Car mileage - staff paid at Grade A - C

145% of the NJC for Local Government Services rate for essential user mileage, 1000 – 1199cc for the first 8,500 miles

Car mileage – staff paid at Grade D - F

Up to 5,000 miles: 145% of the NJC for Local Government Services rate for essential user mileage, 451 – 999cc for the first 8,500 miles

Over 5,000 miles: EHCC approved rate

Car mileage – staff paid at Grade G and above

HMRC rate

Leased Car mileage – petrol cars

HMRC rate for petrol vehicles of 1400cc or less

Leased Car mileage – diesel cars

HMRC rate for diesel vehicles of 1600cc or less

Occasional Bicycle/Electric bicycle mileage

EHCC approved rate

Motorcycle mileage

HMRC rate

Passenger mileage

EHCC approved rate

Relocation mileage (see Section 23)

64% of the NJC for Local Government Services rate for essential user mileage, 1000 – 1199cc for the first 8,500 miles

See further information on Travel and Expenses

18.17 Mileage claimed needs to be supported with valid VAT fuel receipts, without which claims cannot be paid.

Staff are requested to retain their VAT receipts in a safe place, for at least four years to support any claims . This is required in case HMRC wishes to audit the Council at any point in time.

↑ Back to top

← Back to index