Adult social work in Hampshire

Making a difference

Our vision is to be a sustainable adult services working with thriving partnerships and strong local communities. This empowers people who use our services and delivers public value to the people of Hampshire.

If you share our vision, you should consider adult social work in Hampshire.

What social workers do

Primarily you form partnerships with people. You help them to assess and interpret the problems they face and support them to find strength based solutions.

Sometimes you provide the service itself – you are advocate, guide, hand-holder, or critical friend. Other cases are complex and need organised and communicated 'packages of care'. This includes liaison with doctors, nurses, lawyers, police, court officials, probation workers amongst others. Whatever the situation, you need to know how the law works, what services are available and how to put them to best advantage on behalf of your client.

You have certain legal powers and duties which are in place. These protect people who cannot protect themselves. For example, someone with a mental illness who is a danger to themselves or to others.

This is a job carrying significant responsibility. It requires initiative and commitment, as well as professional knowledge. An interest in people is important, but it's not enough. You also have to be:

  • quick thinking
  • thorough
  • persuasive
  • non discriminatory
  • non judgemental
  • above all, committed to seeing things through

It sounds demanding and it can be, but you won’t work in isolation, you will be part of a team and have close support.

Working with adults

Working with adults involves a variety of approaches and environments. You may have to support someone through a temporary difficulty or it may be longer term. There are many areas in which to specialise. These include mental health, learning disabilities and older persons / physical disability.

With additional training, you might work with people who have more acute mental health problems. You could be part of a specialist team working with adults with disabilities. This would involve liaising with their families and other carers to help them live as independently as possible. Another field is working with offenders. Here you would supervise them in the community, help them to find jobs, and address problems to prevent re-offending.

You will manage a caseload on an individual basis:

  • working in a strength based approach
  • making assessments
  • devising care plans
  • reviewing progress in partnership with each individual client
What to expect if you join Adult Services

The Adult Services department provides information, advice, services and support to thousands of Hampshire residents every year. People may need social care or support during a crisis, because of their age, long term ill health or disability, or because they are caring for others.

Most of the support we give is to help people maintain their independence, so that they can continue to live in their own homes. To do this, we provide: 

  • an occupational therapy service and equipment service
  • support for adults with learning disabilities
  • support and services to people with visual and/or hearing impairment

We apply a strength based approach to all our interactions.

We run our social care services from a range of locations around the county, and also run 10 of our own nursing homes.

We want to ensure our service offers real choice, and with our support, enables those accessing the service to live their life the way they want to.

For more information please visit our Adult Services web pages.

More information about working in social work

To work in social care you don't need to be a social worker. Care workers often do similar roles to social workers. Care workers do not need any qualifications to start their careers, although there can be several opportunities to study.

To be a social worker you need a degree. This will normally take 3 years full-time study. When you are qualified, you will need to complete an Assessed and Supported Year in Employment (ASYE). This helps newly qualified social workers develop their skills, knowledge and capability. It also strengthens their professional confidence.

If you are a Hampshire County Council employee we can help with an 'Employment Based Route' to becoming a social worker. This is a competitive process with limited places. If you are not a Hampshire County Council employee, there is no route for funding.

More information about social care routes and careers