Hampshire’s Library Service provides a modern, vibrant environment in which to learn, study and work. We deliver high quality customer service to our many customers, encouraging everybody to use our services – including hard to reach communities and those in greatest need.
We regularly recruit for:
- Library Customer Service Assistants
- Administrative Officers
- Library Team Managers
- Home Library Service Co-ordinators
Find out more about Hampshire Library Service.
Five great reasons to work for us
- No two days are ever the same thanks to a varied, fast paced and quickly evolving service
- Gain personal satisfaction from making a difference to local residents and communities
- Meet people from all walks of life with different needs and expectations
- Contribute and belong to a committed and enthusiastic team, and work with partners to develop and enhance the service
- Develop your skills and contribute to the library service of the future - including the digital dimension!
If you are inspired by the power of reading and of digital literacy, if you have a passion to help people lead happier and healthier lives, and if you’re more likely to say ‘come on in, how can I help’ rather than ‘sshh’… then we need you!
About the roles
Hampshire’s Library Service needs enthusiastic new staff to join our teams.
Library Customer Service Assistant
If you have a flexible and ‘can do’ attitude, we will teach you the skills required to become an excellent Library Customer Service Assistant.
You’ll provide a warm welcome and a high quality customer experience to everyone who visits our libraries. As an enthusiastic advocate for the service, you’ll embrace the broad range of services we offer and encourage more people to:
- read a range of authors and book titles
- download our apps for eMagazines and eBooks
- take part in special promotions and sign up for courses and events
You’ll plan and deliver activities for children, and assist with stock management as well as carrying out a range of administrative duties.
Each day will be different as you work across sites to help us develop an exciting and vibrant service.
What we’re looking for
- Enthusiasm for books and reading
- A clear commitment to customer service
- A flexible approach to delivering high quality services
- A positive ‘can do’ attitude
- Effective interpersonal and organisational skills
- Being comfortable talking to the public and getting involved in events and activities
- IT skills – able to use a range of digital tools and communication methods
- Happy to use social media to promote events and activities
As Administrative Officer you’ll keep things running smoothly and provide vital support to your team.
You’ll play a vital role within our forward-thinking organisation, undertaking financial and administrative duties as well as providing support to your Area Manager and the team.
You’ll be confidently communicating with a range of people every day, sharing our commitment to excellent customer service.
Working with our IT systems and using your keen eye for detail, you’ll plan and organise tasks, manage diaries and draft routine correspondence.
In return, you’ll be trained, supported and encouraged to develop a range of skills.
What we’re looking for
- A good general standard of education
- A confident communicator
- Experience of working in a customer focused administrative environment
- Excellent organising and planning skills, and attention to detail
- Able to make sound judgements, think ahead and use initiative
- Strong IT skills
- Experience of diary management, creating presentations and drafting routine correspondence
Library Team Manager
In this fast-paced and busy role you’ll support the Area Manager by leading on the day-to-day running of our libraries.
You’ll manage a large team, often over several sites. You’ll organise and allocate resources, help manage the finances and schedule events, often working to tight deadlines. You’ll also take responsibility for building and facilities management.
A key part of your role will be providing leadership and direction to your team, using your excellent interpersonal and communication skills. You’ll need to understand your communities to drive and successfully implement change and innovation. You’ll proactively manage staff performance, providing feedback on behaviours.
Above all, you’ll ensure the delivery of efficient and high quality services to our customers.
What we’re looking for
- Recent experience of providing leadership and direction within a busy customer service environment
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to deliver effective learning to colleagues
- A strong leader who is able to manage difficult messages and lead performance discussions
- Able to work under pressure and prioritise tasks to meet deadlines
- Able to implement change and drive staff and customer engagement to deliver excellent services
- Able to be proactive and to respond to arising situations as they occur across the area
- Sound knowledge and experience of Health and Safety requirements and understanding of risk assessments
Home Library Service Co-ordinator
As Co-ordinator you’ll play a vital role connecting Home Library Service volunteers with our customers.
The Home Library Service offers people who are unable to visit libraries due to ill health or poor mobility the opportunity to continue enjoying using libraries and reading books. Our team of over 300 volunteers works across the county with over 900 customers.
As Co-ordinator you will be the main point of contact for volunteers, customers and library staff. Your role will be to support the volunteers, carrying out recruitment, induction and training. You’ll raise awareness of the service in the community and connect volunteers with customers in their area.
What we’re looking for
- Enthusiasm for bringing reading to disadvantaged customers
- Recent experience of working in a customer service environment and of directing and co-ordinating the work of volunteers
- Able to demonstrate experience of successful delivery of a public or other customer focused service
- Comfortable talking to public groups to raise awareness about library services
- Able to communicate clearly in writing and in person
- Excellent planning and organising skills
- Able to work under pressure and prioritise tasks
- Good IT skills including use of the Library Management System
- An advocate for inclusion with an awareness of safeguarding issues
About our Libraries
We are proud of our Library Service in Hampshire, and we have a strong ambition and commitment to continue to unlock the huge potential that libraries offer. This includes books and reading, the health and wellbeing agenda, encouraging learning, and connecting people in our increasingly digital world.
Winchester Discovery Centre
Branches across the County
Hedge End Library
An environment to enjoy
Reading is encouraged
Classes, workshops and events
Training and support
All staff complete a comprehensive induction programme for their role, as well as mandatory training or e-learning relating to staff wellbeing, fire safety, health and safety and data protection.
The training and support provided empowers staff with the knowledge and skills to understand and respond appropriately to the variety of situations that working in a library can provide.
Managers actively monitor performance and provide regular communication updates, training and support through local team meetings, weekly updates and 1:1 sessions.
Continuous professional development linked to business priorities, and support to manage the complexities of the role is also provided.
Joining our high-performing authority gives you access to an extensive benefits package.
See Our benefits.
Living and working in Hampshire
Located on the south coast of England, with excellent transport links, Hampshire offers a choice of rural or city living.
See Living and working in Hampshire.
There are many opportunities to volunteer with Hampshire Libraries. These include choosing and delivering books to those who find accessing libraries difficult, helping with children’s events or adult learning.