About the opportunity
The Department for Education confirmed on 3 March 2015 that it has awarded Hampshire and the Isle of Wight almost £4 million from its Innovations Fund in order to reform children's social work.
The funding will be used to introduce a series of measures that challenge the traditional ways of working, significantly reducing bureaucracy while improving outcomes for children in need of care and protection, and reducing spiraling demand for children's social services in the longer term. These focus on the creation of the new specialist family intervention teams, making more use of voluntary support to connect with communities and improving the support to social workers so they have increased time to spend with vulnerable children and young people.
We will be setting up networks of volunteers to work with children and families in their communities.
Tasks and duties
- Work with the volunteer coordinator to agree a match to young people
- Attend an initial meeting with the young person and Children’s Services worker to agree the type and frequency of support to be offered and agree
ongoing meetings and support
- Discuss and agree information sharing with the young person and Children’s Services worker
- Meet with the young person and deliver the ongoing support agreed
- Record and share information as agreed
- Volunteers may work with more than one young person at a time (depending upon the time they are able to offer)
Volunteers will receive full training and will be supported during their volunteering by one of Hampshire’s locally based volunteer coordinators. Volunteers will have access to support and advice whilst delivering volunteering activity.
Who we are looking for
We are seeking volunteers who feel able to:
Communicate and ensure people, with varied levels of ability, understand information
Build and maintain positive, on-going relationships with parents/carers
Listen and remain calm and impartial when dealing with families
Deliver parenting advice and support and constructively challenge behaviours where appropriate
Basingstoke Canal Centre Basingstoke Canal Centre Surrey GU16 6DD
How to apply
To find out more, please email your name and contact details to email@example.com