About the opportunitySir Harold Hillier Gardens have a world-renowned botanical collection within 180 acres situated near Romsey and is a registered charity. Originally the private garden of Sir Harold Hillier and his family they were given in trust to Hampshire County Council in 1977. Our Volunteer Scheme has been in place for over 20 years.
Tasks and dutiesProvide a welcoming, hospitable environment and rewarding learning experience to garden visitors. Initially, we are looking for you to support Visitor Services welcoming visitors, assist with wheelchair and buggy loans, and help with routine tasks like Membership. Later, and as you gain confidence in your role, we are looking for volunteers to be the eyes and ears on the ground, to wander the Gardens to engage individual visitors and families in short impromptu tours or conversations. First aid support would be welcomed.
TrainingA full induction programme will be given by Visitor Services. Additional training session are available throughout the year, by arrangement.
CommitmentDays and times are flexible, but we are looking for three hours per visit, and ideally, the core hours of 11am-4pm, especially at weekends, although this may be seasonal or weather dependant. A minimum commitment of 12 hours per month for a year would be expected.
Further information on what a volunteer can expect and also what SHHG expects from our volunteers is set out in the volunteer handbook.
What we are looking for
- have previous experience of working in a public facing environment,
- be friendly, enthusiastic, energetic, and fun,
- be happy to work in a team as well as independently,
- be comfortable speaking to groups of people of all ages,
- deal skilfully and professionally with a variety of visitors under a variety of circumstances and
- proactively keep informed about changes in the Gardens.
Although training will be provided, it would be helpful if you have
- recent first aid training,
- a good knowledge of the Gardens and
- a good working knowledge of garden plants, wildflowers and/or wildlife.
Sir Harold Hillier Gardens Sir Harold Hillier Gardens Ampfield Nr. Romsey SO51 0QA