About the opportunity
The Canal covers a 32mile stretch, the vast majority of which is designated SSSI. There are 29 locks for visiting boats to negotiate. This role will work, alongside the Lock Keeper, to welcome and see the boats safely up and down the flights of locks and carry out general maintenance tasks around the locks.
Tasks and duties
- Caulking of locks to seal them to prevent water loss
- Litter picking and general rubbish clearance from site
- Mowing of lock tops
- Painting of lock structures
- Greeting and welcoming boaters and members of the public
- Assisting boats with use of locks if required
No previous experience is needed as any tasks and use of hand tools will be demonstrated by the Lock Keeper.
For long term volunteers training is available and can include mower and strimmer training.
CommitmentIdeally once a week during summer season April - October, 8.30am to 4pm
Who we are looking for
- have a good level of fitness and strength
- be willing to work in all weathers
- have good interpersonal skills
- be available at least once a week
Basingstoke Canal Centre Basingstoke Canal Centre Surrey GU16 6DD