About the opportunity
Almost all Hampshire’s libraries regularly hold free rhyme times aimed at our youngest library members. Many libraries also host story times for slightly older children to develop their listening skills and love of reading.
Tasks and duties
- You will prepare the area where the session takes place and also help to choose the rhymes or stories.
- As they arrive, you’ll welcome the families of small children and babies and oversee buggy parking.
- By joining in you’ll encourage parents and carers to do the same and when the session ends, you’ll talk to them and promote the book stock.
- Finally, you’ll clear up after the session.
Volunteers have an introductory session to ensure that this opportunity is the right choice for them before they start volunteering on a regular basis.
Your local library will have a specific day for these activities.
You’re expected to attend all events at which you’re assisting punctually.
Who we are looking for
- be approachable and enthusiastic
- have good interpersonal skills enabling you to talk and listen to young children in a friendly and patient way