About the opportunity
The Summer Reading Challenge is a national scheme provided by the Reading Agency and delivered for free throughout Hampshire’s libraries. It is designed for children aged 4-11 with the aim to keep them reading during the school holidays.
You will be talking to children, parents and carers, telling them about this year’s challenge and how to take part and then signing them up and giving them their starter packs.
Tasks and duties
- Register families to take the Summer Reading Challenge using a form or a tablet.
- Talk to children about books they have chosen and what they like to read.
- Understand and be able to explain about the Summer Reading Challenge, including how to use and unlock the app.
- Hand out stickers when books have been read and medals when they complete the 6 book Challenge.
- Generally help in the library with other duties and customer enquiries.
Volunteers have an induction session to complete before they start.
- A chance to learn more about libraries and books
- Work experience to put on your CV
- Training and confidence talking to customers – both children and adults
- A boost to your self-confidence and some independence
The Summer Reading Challenege is an annual scheme running from mid July to mid September.
Days and hours required will depend on the opening hours of your local library.
Who we are looking for
- be aged 14 to 18 years
- be a keen reader
- be good at talking and listening to children and adults
- like helping people
- be reliable and good time-keeper
- be calm, patient and friendly