Apply for a temporary closure
Rights of way may be closed for works or to protect public safety
Rights of way must not be closed or their use restricted without our consent. If you are intending to undertake any activity that might affect a public right of way please contact us. There is a charge for this service.
- Reasons for closures
A public right of way may need a temporary closure if there is:
- work taking place on or near the route
- a potential danger to the public
- likelihood of serious damage to the route
- an event, like a sporting or social event on the route
- Length of closures
Rights of way can be closed for an initial period of up to six months, although the Secretary of State for Transport can approve an extension. Please contact us as early as possible if you require an extension.
There is a charge for extensions to temporary closure orders.
- Your responsibilities
If notices are not displayed on site during the closure, we reserve the right to replace them and charge for our time
- agree the period of closure
- agree the extent of the path affected
- make alternative arrangements for the public (such as providing an alternative route) where possible
- agree arrangements to reinstatement the path
- complete all parts of the application form
- notify anyone who uses the path to access adjacent property
- provide a contact name and number to display on notices or give to the public
- minimise disruption caused to local users
- display and maintain notices at each end of the path until the works are complete
When the work is complete:
- open the path as soon as possible
- remove notices
- reinstate the path to an agreed standard
- inform us that the path is open. You are responsible for the cost of reinstatement
- up to six months, with at least 42 days notice: £1000 (there is an additional charge if a County Council officer needs to visit the site)
- up to six months, with less than 42 days notice: £1600 (there is an additional charge if a County Council officer needs to visit the site)
- emergency closure (for safety reasons only, maximum 21 days): £305
- extension of closures beyond six months (granted by Secretary of State): £565
Charges do not include the cost of advertising the closure in the local press. This may be in the region of £200 per closure.
No payment is required when submitting the application. You will be sent an invoice at a later date.
- Current closures
View closed paths on a map (marked in red)