Our enquiry service offers advice about your research question and the availability and use of our records. We aim to respond to all enquiries within 5 working days.
Note that we make a charge for searches/research in archives, books and indexes.
We aim to respond to your enquiry within five working days.
We can research for:
- half an hour, one hour, two hours
We can research:
- Archives held at Hampshire Archives and Local Studies
- Books, and other printed sources, held at Hampshire Archives and Local Studies
- Online sources such as Ancestry, FindMyPast, British Newspaper Archive
Examples of research include:
- Family history: baptisms, marriages and burials in Hampshire parishes
- Electoral registers: occupants at an address over a number of years
- History of a house: maps and other documents, checking occupants through census returns
- Newspapers: information about unusual events, eg accidents, criminal trials, inquests
- Peerage and landed gentry: checking our extensive collection of books to look up pedigrees, family crests, mottos and the descent of families
- Ancestry and FindMyPast: checking for Hampshire people, but also for people living elsewhere in England and Wales
Our findings are sent in the form of a report within one calendar month following receipt of payment. Where appropriate, copies of documents may be sent as part of the research service but we do not provide copies of everything we find.
We aim to complete research within one calendar month after receipt of payment.
Fees and charges - Our charges are for time spent, not results.