Tuesday to Thursday 9.30am to 4pm.
Christmas and New Year 2021
Search room open until 4pm on Thursday 23 December.
We re-open on Tuesday 4 January 2022.
Phone 01962 846154
Sussex Street Winchester SO23 8TH
Before your visit - those who wish to view documents
Sign up for an Archives Card if you visit archives regularly.
- Contact Archives and Local Studies
- Write BOOKING at the start of your message
- Include date and time, at least one week ahead of your visit
- Include your phone number in case we need to cancel your visit at short notice
- Make one booking only (no further bookings until after your visit)
- If you need to bring a carer or helper they will need to be booked in as well.
- All documents must be ordered in advance by Thursday of the week before your visit. Search our catalogue for Finding numbers. Also parish register lists A to M and N to Z and send us a list
- We regret we are not able to retrieve more items from the strongrooms on the day. We may be unable to make some documents available, eg if large amounts are requested. Tithe maps and awards are available in digital form only.
- Wait until you have received confirmation of your booking before making travel arrangements.
- Let us know as soon as possible if you need to cancel your booking.
During your visit
- Please wash your hands thoroughly on arrival and departure, and during your visit as necessary
- Bring the minimum (coats, bags) that you need; lockers will be provided
- Visitors will be signed in by staff. Archives Card account holders will also have their visits logged through the Archives Card website
- A reminder to please bring everything you need, eg pencils, paper, laptops
- We are unable to provide facilities for you to take refreshments
Using the search room
- Document users, please sit at the seat that is allocated to you
- You will be able to browse the search room book shelves and self-serve the microform and digital sources
- All your requested documents, will be made available at the same time. When you have finished with them alert Help Desk staff. All the documents you have consulted will then be checked back, before you leave the search room, so you will need to allow sufficient time at the end of your visit for this (20 mins is suggested)
- Alert the staff member on the Help Desk if you wish to leave the search room for any reason
- The usual guidelines will still apply: pencils only, no eating or drinking, adherence to data protection and copyright rules
Where to find us
We are located close to Winchester railway station.
There are several council car parks nearby including Gladstone Street, Tower Street and Worthy Lane, see City Council Car Parks. Alternatively, there are four Park and Ride car parks. The buses from all Park and Ride car parks stop outside the railway station.
We have no parking facilities available on site except for those with very limited mobility. A space must be booked in advance, telephone: 01962 846154 To reach our accessible parking, follow signs to Winchester railway station, pass the station on your left and down to a mini roundabout. Take the right turn on the roundabout which leads to a barrier. Press the intercom to speak to staff.