Every year Hampshire County Council's School Library Service organises a programme of literary events for schools.
Our annual 'Meet the Author' programme runs across the county to support literacy, giving pupils the opportunity to meet some of the best authors writing for children today.
We also run four annual Hampshire Book Awards, aimed at pupils in Years 1, 4, 5 and 8. These awards allow pupils a unique opportunity to be involved in a major county literary event, giving them a chance to enjoy reading for pleasure. They ensure pupils are centre stage as sole judges of the award and aim to foster a reading ethos within participating schools. The awards encourage pupils to critically read, evaluate and review inspirational, challenging and imaginative titles chosen by experienced SLS staff.
Our Reading for Pleasure offer also includes:
- transition book lists for pupils moving to Years R, 3 and 7
- reading challenges
- booklists based on year groups, themes, curriculum
- reading for pleasure report
- reading walks
- storyteller lists and information
- online bookshop offering a competitive discount
- meetings to showcase resources aimed at teachers and librarians
- unlimited exchanges of resources
- group sets
- story sacks, sensory boxes and braille/giant print books
Evidence is now accumulating that shows reading enjoyment is beneficial not only for reading outcomes but also for wider learning