The consultation offers a choice between different options.
Why changes are proposed
The way people use library services is changing. Hampshire Library Service continues to evolve in response.
As well as responding to changing needs, the library service is looking to make savings of £1.76 million. All areas of work across the County Council are being looked at to find savings needed to bridge the current funding gap faced by local authorities across the country, as demands for council services grow.
More details to help you decide
To understand what is being proposed, and why change is needed, please read the detailed information pack.
To understand why particular libraries have been put forward for consideration, look at appendices 2 and 3 of the information pack.
We are in the process of updating some specific information in the appendices. This will be published shortly and does not impact on the overall proposals which remain unchanged.
Your feedback matters
No decisions will be made on any of these proposals, until people have had the opportunity to give their views. Feedback received will inform decisions to be made by the Executive Member for Recreation and Heritage in summer 2020.
Take part in the consultation
There will be opportunities to drop-in and have an informal chat with the County Council staff leading the consultation, at various venues around the county. This list will be updated as new dates are confirmed.
|Date||Time||Venue||Type of event|
|Wednesday 29 January||2:30 to 6:30pm||Winchester Discovery Centre||Public Drop-in|
|Monday 3 February||2pm to 5pm||Hythe Library||Public Drop-in|
|Tuesday 4 February||2pm to 5pm||Havant Library||Public Drop-in|
|Tuesday 4 February||2pm to 6pm||Chineham Library||Public Drop-in|
|Thursday 6 February||2pm to 6pm||Blackfield Library||Public Drop-in|
|Thursday 6 February||2pm to 6pm||Odiham Library||Public Drop-in|
|Thursday 6 February||2pm to 6pm||Lee on Solent Library||Public Drop-in|
|Friday 7 February||2pm to 6pm||South Ham Library||Public Drop-in|
|Saturday 8 February||11am to 3pm||Basingstoke Discovery Centre||Public Drop-in|
|Monday 10 February||2pm to 6pm||Horndean Library||Public Drop-in|
|Tuesday 11 February||2pm to 6pm||Elson Library||Public Drop-in|
|Tuesday 11 February||2pm to 6pm||Fair Oak Library||Public Drop-in|
|Wednesday 12 February||9:30am to 2:00pm||Gosport Discovery Centre||Public Drop-in|
|Friday 14 February||2pm to 6pm||Emsworth Library||Public Drop-in|
|Friday 14 February||2pm to 6pm||Lyndhurst Library||Public Drop-in|
The consultation Information Pack has been recorded onto a series of audio files, to assist people with visual impairments. If you would prefer to listen to the Information Pack, please do so using the links below.
If, having listened to the information, you would like to arrange a time to complete the Response Form verbally, please call 0300 5551387. Alternatively, you can respond using the online Response Form, using the link above.
Listen to the audio files:
- Chapter 1 Front sheet of information pack
- Chapter 2 Contents
- Chapter 3 Introduction
- Chapter 4 How to have your say
- Chapter 5 Section One
- Chapter 6 Future vision for Hampshire’s Library Service
- Chapter 7 Section Two - Proposed changes to Hampshire Library Service
- Chapter 8 Changing how Council-run library services are delivered
- Chapter 9 Closure of Council-run libraries
- Chapter 10 Reducing and standardising opening hours
- Chapter 11 Proposed service delivery options
- Chapter 12 Option One
- Chapter 13 Option Two
- Chapter 14 Delivering library services differently within local communities
- Chapter 15 Re-provision of some Council-run libraries to better meet community need
- Chapter 16 Delivering efficiencies
- Chapter 17 Generating income
- Chapter 18 Options which are not being consulted on at this time
- Chapter 19 Conclusion
- Chapter 20 Appendix One – About the Library Service
- Chapter 21 Appendix Two – Comprehensive review process
- Chapter 22 Appendix Three – Comprehensive review data
- Chapter 23 Scorecard for Blackfield Library
- Chapter 24 Scorecard for Chineham Library
- Chapter 25 Scorecard for Elson Library
- Chapter 26 Scorecard for Emsworth Library
- Chapter 27 Scorecard for Fair Oak Library
- Chapter 28 Scorecard for Horndean Library
- Chapter 29 Scorecard for Lee on the Solent Library
- Chapter 30 Scorecard for Lyndhurst Library
- Chapter 31 Scorecard for Odiham Library
- Chapter 32 Scorecard for South Ham Library
- Chapter 33 Appendix Four – Potential impact on Council-run libraries as a result of proposed reductions in opening hours