The Bell Street scheme is the second part of a package of improvements designed to enhance the vibrancy of Romsey Town Centre and attract even greater numbers of visitors. Together with the improvements already completed in Church Street, the schemes represent a £1.5 million investment into the area.
Work on the Bell Street scheme began in September 2017, and was suspended for six weeks in order not to disrupt the busy Christmas shopping period.
Improvements to the area include:
• Making the road and footway one level along the length of Bell Street
• Repaving the footways on Bell Street, in keeping with the scheme recently completed in Church Street
• Resurfacing and narrowing the road in order to reduce vehicle speeds and aid general accessibility
• Removing the on-street parking, as supported in the responses to the public consultation, so that the wider footways can be accommodated for the full length of the street
• Introducing a raised crossing at the entry to Bell Street to act as a gateway to the area
• Improving the existing zebra crossing