What to put in your recycling bin this Christmas

Dec 20 2017

Did you know items such as metal biscuit and sweet tins, cardboard delivery and toy boxes*, cards and envelopes can all be recycled in your kerbside collection?

However, wrapping paper, which often contains foil, and moulded plastic packaging, such as toy packaging, cannot be recycled.

Hampshire County Council’s Executive Member for Economy and Transport, Councillor Rob Humby, said: “Christmas is always a busy time of the year but we are trying to remind people of a couple of extra items they can pop in their recycling bin. If we recycled just 10% more plain paper, we could save five million trees a year – every bit counts.

“With all the extra packaging at this time of year, remember that if your own recycling bin starts to overflow you can take lots of items to your nearest Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC). Please take empty bottles to your local bottle bank.”

Please check with your local district, borough or city council to see if there are any changes to your bin collection days over the festive period or visit: www.gov.uk/rubbish-collection-day

Your local Household Waste Recycling Centre is open seven days a week except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.

For more hints and tips about recycling visit: www.hants.gov.uk/wasteandrecycling/recycleforhampshire

*large boxes need to be broken down