Redbridge Causeway is made up of four concrete bridges, built between 1930 and 1966 and these have been eroded by their marine location, and are in urgent need of repair if weight restrictions are to be avoided. The County Council’s work will prevent water ingress, repair failing concrete, and increase durability.
The westbound A35 Redbridge Viaduct will be closed over four weekends in February and the beginning of March to replace the remaining joints and stop water leaking into the concrete supports underneath. This follows on from the work started in November 2017 and will enable the County Council to keep this vital road link open to Southampton and the Waterside.
So far, the County Council has replaced thirteen of the 21 expansion joints which lay across the bridge, along with two thirds of a longitudinal joint that runs along the entire length of the bridge. Work to replace the remaining eight expansion joints and the remaining third of the longitudinal joint will begin on 3 February. As well as the bridge repairs, Hampshire’s highways teams are using the closure to resurface one lane of the A35 between the viaduct and Rushington roundabout, clear the drains, clean the road signs and cut back weeds and grass on the verges.
Councillor Humby continued: “Repair work to the Redbridge Viaduct is vital if it is to remain open, and we don’t take a decision to close such a major route lightly - which is why it was closed at night and on a Sunday, when it is much quieter, and opened again in time for rush hour weekday traffic.”
The County Council has committed £2 million for immediate repairs to the reinforced concrete supports to stop leaks through the bridge expansion joints.
As before, the road will be closed at 8pm on Saturday and open at 5am on Monday:
• A35 Westbound closed at 8pm on Saturday 3 February to 5am on Monday 5 February
• A35 Westbound Saturday 10 February to Monday 12 February – there will be no work taking place on this weekend due to a clash with a Southampton Football Club fixture.
• A35 Westbound closed at 8pm on Saturday 17 February to 5am on Monday 19 February
• A35 Westbound closed at 8pm on Saturday 24 February to 5am on Monday 26 February
• A35 Westbound closed at 8pm on Saturday 3 March to 5am on Monday 5 March