Older and disabled people urged to check bus passes are valid

Hampshire County Council is advising people using concessionary bus passes, an older person’s or a disabled person’s pass, that any passes which have expired, or been reported lost or stolen, will be collected by bus drivers if they are presented for travel

Nov 22 2018

Councillor Rob Humby, Executive Member for Environment and Transport at Hampshire County Council, said: “We are asking holders of concessionary passes to make sure they are using the correct pass before they travel by checking the date to make sure it is still valid.  If they have reported a pass lost or stolen, we would ask that they use the replacement pass they’ve been sent.”

Passes that are no longer valid will be identified by bus ticket machines and collected by bus drivers.  However, until 31 December, passengers presenting passes which have expired will be able to complete their journey until the pass has been replaced.  

Councillor Humby continued: “The concessionary pass scheme is a valuable aid to independence.  It works by paying bus operators for the numbers of passengers, and costs around £13 million each year to implement in Hampshire so it’s important that passes that are no longer valid are withdrawn from circulation.  I would urge people whose passes have been lost, stolen or expired to contact Hampshire County Council so they can get a new, valid bus pass as soon as possible.”

The older person’s bus pass entitles people to free travel on bus services throughout England from 9.30am to 11pm Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and on public holidays.  People are entitled to concessionary travel once they reach pensionable age. A disabled person’s bus pass entitles people to free all day travel on bus service journeys starting in Hampshire (not Portsmouth and Southampton) regardless of where they are travelling to.

To order a replacement pass, please go to www.hants.gov.uk/concessionary-travel or email the Concessionary Travel Team: concessionary.fares@hants.gov.uk, or phone 0300 555 1376.

Where a bus pass is used regularly, Hampshire County Council will automatically send a new one approximately two weeks prior to the expiry date of the current pass so please ensure any change of address is updated with the Council. If a pass has not been used on a local bus for at least twelve months, older people are still eligible but will need to contact the County Council to confirm their address before a new one can be issued. Where people are eligible for a concessionary pass due a disability, their pass will be automatically renewed.