Getting help and support

How we decide if you are eligible for help from Hampshire County Council

This video explains what to expect when you contact Adults’ Health and Care. You can also watch our videos:

Who can get help

The government sets national eligibility criteria for adult care under the Care Act. This means people get the same access to support wherever they live.

Eligibility depends on an assessment of your needs and the outcomes you want to achieve that are affecting your ability to live well.

The assessment will focus on different things if you need long term help rather than short term help.           

Short term care

If you are eligible, we are able to provide reablement care services for you in the short term. This is free for and for a short period, depending on how long the Council feel the service is needed. An example of free short term care would be when you need some extra help when leaving hospital.

Long term care

We can provide help to meet your long-term care needs if your ‘needs assessment’ shows that you can answer ‘yes’ to all three questions below

  • Is your need for support because of a physical or mental impairment or an illness?
  • Are you unable to achieve two or more specified ‘outcomes’
  • Could this have a significant impact on your wellbeing?

NHS care services

You may be eligible for funding through a health fund called Continuing Health Care. This is care that is arranged and funded solely by the NHS for individuals who are not in hospital but have been assessed as having a ‘primary health need’.

If you think this may apply to you, you should speak to your doctor or district nurse.

Prisoners rights and responsibilities

Since April 2015, people detained in a prison or approved premises are entitled to an assessment of their eligibility for care and support.

The needs assessment process

An assessor from Adults' Health Care, such as a social worker, will talk to you about what you think you need and what you want to be able to achieve (such as to stay in your own home safely). 

The assessor will talk to you about whether you are able to achieve certain ‘outcomes’. They will also look at the level of assistance you need, if any, to achieve them.


The list of outcomes specified in the Care Act is:

  • managing and maintaining nutrition
  • maintaining personal hygiene
  • managing toilet needs
  • being appropriately clothed
  • being able to make use of the adult’s home safely
  • maintaining a habitable home environment
  • developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
  • accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
  • making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community including public transport and recreational facilities or services
  • carrying out any caring responsibilities for a child

If you are not able to achieve two or more of the specified outcomes, the assessor will look at the effect this has on your daily life and overall well-being. The assessor will discuss what is important to you and what you would like to achieve.

Using this basis, the assessor will make a judgement as to whether your care needs are having a significant effect on your daily life and wellbeing. If your care needs could have a big effect on at least one of these areas of well-being, this could be considered a ‘significant’ impact. If your care needs have some effect on several areas of well-being, this could add up to a ‘significant’ impact on your well-being as a whole.

Areas of wellbeing

Wellbeing covers a lot of different areas, including:

  • personal dignity
  • physical and mental health and emotional wellbeing
  • protection from abuse and neglect
  • personal control over your day-to-day life
  • participation in work, education, training or recreation
  • social and economic wellbeing
  • domestic, family and personal relationships
  • suitability of living accommodation
  • your contribution to society

If you are eligible

If you have eligible needs, we will help you to identify what outcomes you want and the support you may need as a result. This will be set out in your Personal Plan.

This will include any help available to meet your needs that you can receive within your local community and from your family or friends. It could also include equipment or adaptations to your home. It will only include formal services such as a paid carer coming into your home or a place in a care home if we feel that this was the only way to meet your care needs.

If you require formal services, our Brokerage team will liaise with you to find the right care for your needs.

Our advice and information is always free and you do not have to pay for an assessment. However, we do charge for most services. The amount you will need to contribute towards the cost of your care will usually depend on your financial circumstances. 

If you do need any Council arranged services, then we will then work out how much money it will cost to meet the needs and outcomes in your Personal Plan. This is called your Personal Budget, and it sets out how you want money to be spent.
If you aren't eligible

If you are not entitled to services from Adults' Health and Care, because you do not meet the national eligibility criteria for care, you will have to organise and pay for any services that you need yourself.

Our Connnect to Support Hampshire website can help you find alternative solutions yourself.

We will still be able to offer you information and advice. We can refer you to services that can help with problems like debt or housing, or advice on other short term issues. We can tell you where these services are or support you to contact them if you would like us to.

Many of these services are free of charge, but if they are not we can't pay for them for you.

Request an assessment

Complete our online form to request an assessment 

When you get in touch with us we will ask for personal information to help get you the support you need. We have strict rules about how your information is kept safe and used.

Before requesting an assessment of needs, have you checked the eligibility 'outcomes' and paying for care services.


Managing your own care and wellbeing

Who can get help from Adults’ Health and Care (Easyread information)

Preparing for your meeting with Adults’ Health and Care
My meeting with Adults’ Health and Care (Easyread information)

Your Information (How we use your information, how it is stored, your permission to share information and how you can access your records)

Brokerage (Information about the BrokerageTeam)