Paying for care in a care home

Most care and support services are not free.

Some people may qualify for NHS Continuing Health Care. If you think this may apply to you, you should speak to your doctor or district nurse.

Some people, who are eligible for services from Adult Services, may qualify for financial help with their care home fees. You will need to have care needs that qualify for help. We will also need to assess that a place in a care home is the best way to meet your needs.

For those who are eligible, we will carry out a financial assessment.

How we decide whether you need to pay

To qualify for any help towards the cost of your care home place, you must have assessable savings and/or capital below the current threshold of £23,250 and/or your income must be less than the amount Adult Services agree to pay for your care.

We can only pay a part of your fees, which means that you are expected to pay a certain amount from your income and/or savings. For people with little income or savings the amount that they pay will be relatively small.

The financial assessment is a detailed process and every case is treated individually. Below is a general guide.

How we decide whether you need to pay

If you have:

More than £23,250 in assessable savings (including the value of your home)

  • you will need to pay the full cost of care yourself. There are times when the value of your home is not taken into account.

Between £14,250 and £23,250 in assessable savings

  • your savings and assessable income will be used to work out what, if any, contribution you will pay towards your care costs

Less than £14,250 in assessable savings

  • we will take into account any assessable income you have to work out what contribution you will pay towards the cost of your care
Exceptions - where we may ignore the value of your home

Temporary stay in a care home

The way we charge will be different depending on what type of temporary stay we agree you need and what other services we may be providing for you at home.

  • Short breaks
    • you may be having a short stay in a care home to give you a break from your home circumstances, or to give your carer a break. A short stay is for up to 8 weeks and has a clear start and end date
  • Trial period
    • to help you be sure that moving to permanent care is right for you, you might have a trial period before making a decision
  • Other temporary stays
    • a temporary stay in care for longer than 8 weeks is not considered to be a short stay

A close relative living with you

If your home is the only property you own (or part own) and it is the permanent home of a relative who comes into one of the categories given below, its value will not be taken into account. However, its value will only be ignored for as long as your relative continues to live there.

The relative living in your home must be your husband, wife or partner, or

  • over 60, or
  • under 18 and directly dependent on you, or
  • claiming or able to claim any disability benefits

We may also ignore the value of your home while someone who has been looking after you for a long time continues to live there, even if they don't fit the categories given above

Detailed information about the financial assessment and payments for those who will be having their care home place arranged by Adult Services is given in our publication Paying for Care in a Care Home.

Paying for care in a care home

Paying for Care in a Care Home

Alternative formats:

Payment queries

If the Council is paying for some or all of your care and you have any queries in relation to payments, please see our finance queries page.

Funding your own care

More information if you are paying the full cost of your care yourself.