Deferred payments

Deferred Payment Agreements

A Deferred Payment Agreement is an agreement between you and the Council that is designed to help you if:

  • you have been assessed as having to pay the full cost of your care
  • you meet certain criteria, and
  • you are going to live in a care home

but you cannot access your money because your capital is tied up in your home.

You will usually be able to consider your options for paying for your care in a care home during the 12 week period when the value of your property is not taken into account. It is recommended that you seek independent financial and legal advice during this period to consider all options.

The scheme means that Adult Services offers people who are eligible a loan using their home as security. It doesn’t work in exactly the same way as a conventional loan; Adult Services doesn’t give you a fixed sum of money when you join the scheme, but pays an agreed part of your weekly care costs while the agreement is in place. Adult Services must be able to secure the loan by registering a first legal charge against the property.

In addition, you pay a weekly contribution to Adult Services towards your care that you have been assessed as being able to pay from your income and savings. Adult Services will charge you a fee to set up and administer the agreement (the administration charge) and interest on the amount of the loan.

Deferred Payments Guidance

Deferred Payments Guidance

Information about the County Council's deferred payments' scheme, which allows people to use their home as security for a loan to pay their residential care costs

If funds fall below £23,250

Please note that if the value of the measurable capital/savings you own falls below £23,250 you should contact us to see what could be offered to you.


If you do become eligible for financial assistance from Adult Services to meet your care costs, we will ensure that your eligible needs are met.

If you are in a care home that charges more than the Adult Services contribution, it is possible to pay a ‘top-up’ to the home to cover the extra cost. Top-ups cannot usually be paid from your own income but could come from family or friends or, in some cases, from charities. If no third party top-up can be paid, we may need to ask you to move to less expensive accommodation.

Top up payments

Top up payments

This explains the rules about who can pay a top up fee