Financial assessment

To establish how much, if anything, you should pay towards the cost of any chargeable care services you receive

If you have had a care needs assessment and meet the eligibility criteria for receiving care you will then have a financial assessment.

The financial assessment will be carried out by the Financial Assessments and Benefits (FAB) Team and will be different depending on whether you are paying for care at home or paying for care in a care home.

Questions about your capital

We will ask you about capital, including money in or from the following:

  • bank and savings accounts
  • stocks and shares
  • property or land that you own (excluding your main home that you live in if you are receiving care at home)
  • rental income from other properties (after tax)

We'll need to know if these are yours or shared with someone else, as only your share is taken into account.

Questions about your income

We will ask you about your income, including benefits to which you are entitled even if you have not claimed them. These include:

  • Attendance Allowance, including Constant Attendance Allowance and Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Bereavement Allowance, previously known as Widow’s Pension
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance (Care component)
  • Employment and Support Allowance or the benefits this replaces such as Severe Disablement Allowance and Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or equivalent benefits
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Personal Independence Payment (Daily Living component)
  • State Pension
  • Universal Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • private pensions including occupational pensions

We won’t take into account money you earn from working. Earnings are not counted towards the costs of your care and support. Nor do we count the following:

  • Direct Payments
  • Guaranteed Income Payments (GIPs) made to veterans under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
  • the mobility component of Personal Independence Payments
  • your partner’s income or capital (unless, for care at home, you wish to disclose this in order to see whether additional allowance can be made)
  • expenditure related to your disability, e.g. if you buy special equipment, food or clothing relating to your disability (for care at home)
Questions around staying in a care or nursing home

Only if you are going to stay in a care home or nursing home on a permanent or long-term basis, we will also ask you about:

  • whether you rent or own your home
  • if you own your home, we also ask:
    • whether the home is jointly owned with anyone else
    • how much your home is worth and any outstanding mortgages
    • who lives with you
'Light touch' financial assessments

If you can afford to pay the full costs of your care, you may ask us to carry out a light-touch financial assessment if you do not wish to provide full details of your finances.

Deferred payments

If your care in a care home is being funded or partly funded by Adult Services and you are concerned about having to sell your home to pay for your care, find out about a Deferred Payment Agreement.