Live-in care

A carer will be coming to live with you to support you.

This service is free and will last for a maximum of four weeks.

About this service

If you’re at home and have been unwell, or need some temporary support, this service is designed to provide you with the care and support needed to reduce the likelihood of hospital admission and/or to allow us to assess your care needs as quickly as possible.

It will allow time for us to assess your short-term and long-term care and support needs in the setting where you spend most of your time – your own home.

During this time, a carer will live with you. They will work with you to increase your independence.

We have chosen this as the best service for you because of the support you need at the moment. This could be, for example, because you need some help during the night.

We will already have spoken to you to confirm that:

  • there is an appropriate separate room with adequate furniture where the carer can stay overnight
  • there is an accessible bathroom for the carer to use
  • the carer can use the kitchen to prepare meals for themselves
  • there are laundry facilities for the carer to wash their clothes.

This is a free service which is provided in your own home for a maximum of four weeks. It may end earlier than four weeks if:

  • you no longer need this care, or
  • you have been assessed as needing longer term care and this is agreed before the end of the four week period.

After your initial assessment, the social work team will make a referral to the live-in care provider. The provider will then contact you (or a friend or family member who you have asked to act on your behalf) to discuss access to your property and to begin their own initial assessment.

Your care provider will ask you more questions about what you would like to achieve to increase your independence and will work with you on a plan to help you achieve this.

Within 48 hours of your initial assessment, a member of the social work team should be assigned to you as your ‘allocated worker’. They will then contact you to arrange a time to visit you to carry out an assessment of your care needs. The assessment should take place within 14 days.

We will send you information leaflets before the assessment to help you to prepare for the meeting. They will explain more about the assessment and the kind of questions we will ask you.

If your ongoing care and support needs are assessed as being eligible for help from the Council, we will work with you to develop a personal support plan.

There are many different options we will look at with you. This could include what you can do for yourself, help from family and friends, access to community facilities or support from voluntary services. We might also suggest equipment or adaptations to your home. Your support plan will make the most of what you can do with the help you have around you.

We will work with you and the live-in care provider to smooth the transition to your long-term care.

If you are not eligible for services from the Council, we will give you information and advice about how to access care and support services for yourself. You can find information and services to manage your own care needs and to stay independent on the Connect to Support Hampshire website.

If you are eligible for help from the Council and you require formal services, such as residential care or a paid carer coming into your home, the social worker will arrange for you to have a financial assessment, if you haven’t had one previously. This is to determine how your long-term care will be funded.

Depending on your financial circumstances, you may need to pay some or all of the cost of your care and support.

More information about:

Financial assessment

Paying for care at home

Paying for care in a care home

Find out about the staff who will be working with you

Who will be working with you to support your recovery and assess your care needs?

Learn more about our teams