Early Years Pupil Premium

If your child is 3 or 4 years old and receiving universal free early years education then their childcare provider could claim additional funding

Like the pupil premium available in Hampshire schools for children in Reception year up to Year 11, the Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP) will provide nurseries, pre-schools and childminders with extra funding to support children in achieving the best early years outcomes.

The premium can be spent on supporting the development, learning and care of children.

How the Early Years Pupil Premium helps your child and others

The Early Years Pupil Premium can help by providing:

  • extra training for staff
  • support for developing children's speech and language and learning
  • greater links between the early education setting and families
  • further opportunities and experiences to prepare children with starting school

The funding that the provider receives for individual children may be 'pooled' together across other providers and schools in their locality, enabling access to other opportunities such as a specialist practitioner or specific resources that can be effectively shared.

Early years education providers will have to effectively demonstrate to Ofsted how funds have been used to improve children's education.

Eligibility criteria for Early Years Pupil Premium

Your child’s childcare provider may be entitled to claim the additional EYPP funding for a 3 or 4 year old child who are in receipt of their free Early Years Education place.

The eligibility criteria is similar to that of families of 2 year olds who get Early Years Education funding - though it does not include children who have additional needs as defined by the SEND Code of Practice.

Apply for the Early Years Pupil Premium

When your child becomes eligible for early years education funding, the childcare provider will need to ask you some additional questions to support them to apply for Early Years Pupil Premium.

If you think your family meets the eligibility criteria, the next steps are:

  • Speak to your childcare provider and let them know. They can then inform you of the information they need to confirm your child’s eligibility
  • Your childcare provider will need you to complete the Early Years Education parent declaration form and return it to them
  • If your child has left care through adoption, special guardianship or a child arrangements order you should complete the appropriate section of the declaration form and you must attach a copy of the relevant court order when you return the form to the childcare provider
Continuing the Early Years Pupil Premium

Your childcare provider will ask you to update and voluntarily share your income information when your child reaches 3 and 4 years old in order to continue to claim for funding.

Parents can inform providers of a change in family circumstances and ask them to check EYPP eligibility at other times during the child’s attendance year.

The funding always follows the child; so if the childcare provider changes the funding goes to the new provider.

When your child starts school, your school may also ask you to share information relating to the EYPP so that they can claim Pupil Premium.

How the Early Years Pupil Premium is used