Financial support for children with Special Educational Needs (SEN) and disabilities

SEN funding

Childcare providers can apply for funding for a child in their care with special educational needs.

This funding provides SEN resources or equipment to ensure that the child is able to participate in activities with other children.

Childcare providers apply for this funding from Services for Young Children (SfYC).

Inclusion Support Fund Grant (ISF)

This grant supports the inclusion of children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) who attend registered: 

  • pre-schools
  • nurseries
  • childminders
  • breakfast and after-school clubs
  • holiday play-schemes

See the Inclusion Support Fund (SEND Additional Funding) for information on eligibility criteria, what the grant can be spent on, how to apply and the conditions of the grant.

Disability Access Fund (DAF)

Three and four year olds will be eligible for the DAF if they meet the following criteria:

  • the child is in receipt of child Disability Living Allowance (see section 4) and;
  • the child receives free early education

Childcare providers can apply for funding for three- and four-year-olds eligible for the DAF, and will be entitled to receive a one-off payment of £800 per year. The DAF is not based on an hourly rate and is an additional entitlement.

Children do not have to take up the full 570 hours of early education they are entitled to in order to receive the DAF. Children in receipt of the DAF will be eligible where they take-up any period of free entitlement.

Four-year olds in primary school reception classes are not eligible for DAF funding.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a tax-free benefit for disabled people who need help with mobility or care costs.

You can claim DLA if you:

  • are under 16
  • were born after 8 April 1948 and you make a claim in the same year you stopped receiving DLA

Eligibility for Disability Living Allowance and how to claim

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64.

The amount of payment depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.

Eligibility for Personal Independence Payment and how to claim

Direct Payments

Direct Payments is money paid to you by Hampshire County Council so you can arrange care services or buy equipment for yourself, if you have been assessed as eligible for them.

Family Fund

Helps families of disabled or seriously ill children under 17 years by giving grants and information relating to the care of the child.

Phone 01904 621115

Family Fund website

Further support