Identifying Special Educational Needs

You or your child's education setting might have worries about their development, behaviour or progress. You should talk to your child's teacher, or they may mention it to you first.

The teacher will:

  • listen to your concerns
  • assess your child to understand if and why they are having difficulties learning
  • explain how they plan to help your child or young person
  • put into place the plan that will help your child learn and make educational progress
  • review the plan every term or half term and adapt the plan to help your child progress
  • involve parents, children and young people in planning and reviewing any support they put in place
  • involve their Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) where necessary.

If the teacher needs more advice, they can involve outside specialists. These may be from Local Authority or NHS, such as a Local Authority Educational Psychologist or an NHS Speech and Language Therapist.

Find out more about identifying special educational needs