EHC assessment process – guidance and forms for parents, carers, children and young people

Our Story (Appendix K1)
My Views (Appendix K2)

Guidelines and examples of formats for schools and others for completing a child's/young person's contribution to an Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment (Appendix K2).

My Views guidelines

There are various formats for you to use or you may choose to use a format which you have developed with the child/young person. Please select the format most appropriate to the age and understanding of the child/young person.

Impartial information, advice and support

Local authorities have a duty under the SEND Code of Practice to provide information, advice and support about matters relating to SEN or disability, including matters relating to health and social care. The service must be available to parents of children with special educational needs (SEN) or disabilities and directly to children and young people with SEN or disabilities for whom the local authority is responsible.

From 1 January 2019 arrangements for the Information Advice and Support service in Hampshire will be changing.

A new single service will encompass both Support4SEND (previously provided by Hampshire County Council), and Parent Voice (operated by The Rose Road Association). The new Hampshire SENDIAS service will be operated by Core Assets Children's Services.

Information, advice and support is available for parents of children and young people from birth to 25 years and children and young people themselves. The service operates to nationally agreed service principles, including impartiality of information and empowerment of parents, children and young people.

You can contact the SENDIAS service by email, their website: or by phone: 0808 164 5504.

During this period of transition, you can still access Support4SEND resources on their web pages.

Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment procedures

This document explains the EHC needs assessment procedure in full:

EHC needs assessment procedures - a guide for parents and carers
Hampshire's SEN funding in mainstream schools

This document describes SEN funding arrangements in mainstream schools.

Hampshire's SEN funding in mainstream schools

Draft Education, Health and Care (EHC)
Provision in Hampshire

Provision in Hampshire 2018/19 summarises the wide range of services, specialist advice and provision available for children and young people with Education, Health and Care Plans in Hampshire.

The Post-16 provision in Hampshire is for young people with SEN attending post-16 provision in 2018/19 and young people transferring to post-16 provision in 2019/20.

Checklist for visiting colleges
Checklist for visiting schools

Details when Hampshire County Council can provide assistance with transport; how travel assistance will be provided; privilege travel.

Transport to school or a resourced provision for children and young people with EHC plans
Questionnaire for parents, carers and young people

We constantly review the quality of the service we provide for children and young people with special educational needs and/or disability and their parents/carers so that we can assess our performance and identify areas where improvement may be made. We would be grateful if you could complete this questionnaire and will also welcome any additional comments you may wish to make.

Education, Health and Care needs questionnaire
Further information

Department for Education (DfE)

Government services and information


Children and young people with special educational needs: Context and key priorities 2017-2019

Accessibility Strategy 2017-2019