Why your child may not be eligible for specialist services

There are many disabled children in Hampshire who need help. The eligibility criteria are part of an assessment process to decide who can access specialist services. This makes sure that families most in need receive the necessary support.

If your child isn't eligible for specialist services

If your child doesn't meet the criteria for specialist services, you should have been given a copy of the eligibility criteria. If you think the criteria weren't applied fairly, ask the social worker who assessed your child to review the decision.

A different team manager will check whether the criteria have been applied fairly. You will get a letter confirming the manager’s decision within 21 days of your request.

If you still feel the decision is wrong, you can request a face to face meeting with a service manager from Children’s Services.

If you are still unhappy after the meeting, you can complain in writing to:
Children's Services Department Complaints Team
Elizabeth II Court East
SO23 8UG

Email childrens.services.complaints@hants.gov.uk

Phone 01962 847484

Other support available

There is a wide range of services and activities available for families of children with disabilities.

You can search online for details of services and activities in your area within the Hampshire Local Offer. Hampshire Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) provides information, advice and support for parents or carers of children with special educational needs and/or disabilities. There are opportunities for participation in the design of services through Hampshire Parent Carer Network.

There is also funding for activity providers to run short breaks activities for all children with disabilities or additional needs.

More information about short breaks

Other contacts

Hampshire SENDIASS


Phone: 0808 164 5504

Children’s Services department

Phone 0300 555 1384

Email childrens.services@hants.gov.uk