Referrals to the Physical Disability team

Who can make a referral icon

We accept requests for involvement from schools, preschools, Area Inclusion Co-ordinators, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, paediatricians or parents.

Moving house icon

Moving to Hampshire

If you are moving to Hampshire the County SEN team will refer your child to the service. We will contact and share information with the Specialist Teacher Advisory Service in the area you moved from.

Our criteria

We do:

support children and young people, aged 2 to 25, with a recognised physical disability, and/or a complex medical condition. They must attend colleges, mainstream schools or early-years settings whose:

  • primary need is physical disabilities which significantly affects their functioning in school
  • access to buildings and/or the curriculum is significantly impacted by their physical disability and is ‘additional to or different from’ usual school provision

We don't:

support children attending special schools, except when transitioning to or from a mainstream school. 

If your child or you support a child or young person who meets our criteria you can refer them to us.

Make a request for involvement

Consent received icon

Your consent

If we confirm your child meets our criteria we will write to you to request you consent to us seeing your child and to share medical information. If we don't receive your consent we can't proceed with supporting your child.

next steps icon

Next steps

When we have received consent we find out information about the child or young person's needs. We talk to their family, educational setting and health professionals. This will be assessed against our criteria and inform the level of our involvement.

We will contact parents to explain the outcome.

We may also make a referral to the Assistive Technology or Augmentative and Alternative Communication teams.