Venue opening times
The venue opening times feature can display:
- an opening times header with the current and next day's opening times with an option to link to a page with more detailed opening information
- a more detailed opening times block
Opening times headers are usually added to the top of a venue's home page.
Opening times blocks are usually added to a 'visit us' page or a dedicated opening times page.
To set up opening times for a venue you will need to create 2 types of item in Common content:
- Opening Times item (you only need 1 of these per venue)
- Timing item (you may need several of these per venue to cover seasonal opening times changes)
Timing items are children of the Opening Times item.
Once you have set up these items for a venue, you can use it to display a opening times header and/or an opening times block on the venue's web pages.
An example of opening times is The Great Hall.
Opening times header
Opening times block
- WCMS use
Create opening times item
- In Content Editor navigate to Common-content, text and opening hours
- Create a folder for the content area and right click, choose Insert and Insert from template. Navigate to sitecore, templates, Content Templates, Opening Times and highlight Opening Times. Give it an appropriate name and click on Insert.
- The title field adds a title to the top of an opening times block. If you want to add the block to a ‘visit us’ type page which will contain information other than opening times, add a title in here. If the block is to be added to a page that will only contain the block and nothing else, don’t put anything in the title field (the only title you need here is the page title).
- In the Venue page link field you need to select the page that the detailed opening hours will be displayed on. Click on Insert link and use the navigation tree to find the page. Click on Insert.
- Add text for the Sub title for closed periods field. Use ‘Closed days and partially closed days’ unless you specifically need to use something different.
- In the Closed days of the week field check regular closed days, where applicable
- Add text for the open and closed today and tomorrow description fields
Open today description: Open today 10am to 5pm
Open tomorrow description: Open tomorrow 10am to 5pm
Closed today description: Closed or partially closed today
Closed tomorrow description: Closed or partially closed tomorrow
Create timings item
- Timing items are used to set up opening times for a specific period, eg, Christmas, summer. You can create multiple timings items for a venue to accommodate seasonal changes in opening times, one-off closures etc.
- Navigate to the Opening Times item inside Common-content, text and opening hours
- Insert a Timing item as a child of the Opening times header by right clicking and choosing Insert and Insert from template
- Navigate to sitecore, templates, Content Templates, Opening Times and highlight Timing. Give it an appropriate name such as ‘xmas’ or ‘summer17’ and click on Insert.
- In the Long description field add text that reflects if the venue is open or closed, for example, 12 March 2017 - The Great Hall is open.
- Select a Start Date, End Date and Type (if it's open or closed for that period).
- If the venue is partially closed on a day, create a timings item for that day. Select Closed as the Type and edit the Long Description field to say, for example, 11 March 2017 - The Great Hall is closed from 3pm.
Adding opening times to the page
For the opening times header:
- In Experience Editor, go to the page to where you want the header to appear and select a rendering slot. Click Add here.
- Expand Renderings, Opening Times and highlight OpeningTimesHeader and click Insert. Expand Common-content, text, opening hours and highlight the opening times item that was created and click Insert.
For the opening times block:
- Go to the page to where you want the timings to appear (usually a standalone TextToFullWidth page) and select a rendering. Click Add here.
- Expand Renderings, Opening Times and highlight OpeningTimesBlock and click Insert. Expand Common-content, text, opening hours and highlight the opening times item that was created (not the timings items) and click Insert.
Updating opening times
If an extra closing date or partial closing date is needed, for example on 11 March 2017:
- navigate to the item closest to that date inside Common-content (e.g. Common-content, text, opening hours, thingstodo, greathall, visitus1,13mar)
- right click and select Duplicate. Edit the Long description, Start Date, End Date and Type fields. If the venue is partially closed on the same day select the same dates, select Type as Closed and edit the Long Description field to say, for example, 11 March 2017 - The Great Hall is closed from 3pm.
- move the new item to the correct place in the navigation tree
- update any existing items impacted by the extra closing date (e.g. update the previous 'open' time period and change the Long description and End date to 10th March as this is the day before the new closure)
- MVC.net use
- Version and status