In the First World War the Tile Barn location was a military hospital called Lady Hardinge Hospital. Locals called it “Tin Town”.
It first treated soldiers from the Indian Army Corps, who were wounded fighting in France with British Expeditionary Force.
In November 1915 the Corps was posted to Egypt, and in January 1916 the site became the New Zealand General Hospital until 1919. During that time it treated 21,000 members of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force who were wounded in France.
93 New Zealanders and 1 Australian died at the hospital. Their graves, along with those of 3 Indian soldiers, are in the churchyard of St Nicholas’ church, just down the hill from Tile Barn.
Soldiers from the Indian Army Corps
Anzac day celebrations at the hospital
Patients and staff