COVID-19 update for experienced climbers. We are really looking forward to seeing you back at Calshot!
For Take Off climbing experiences – BOOK HERE
Following Government and the Association of British Climbing walls guidance, there are a number of changes and measures that we have put in place to welcome you safely back to the wall. Please take the time to read through these and other key information below.
These measures along with your feedback will be under continuous review. If you want to leave us feedback please speak to one of the wall team.
- If at any point in the last two weeks prior to the visiting the facility, if you (or any other member of the party) are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19, or any other person in your (or any other member of the parties) household or support bubble is currently self-isolating due to COVID-19, you must not use the facility
- Calshot Activities Centre has additional hygiene controls in place to reduce the transmission of COVID-19. You accept that, by the nature of the virus, it is not possible to eliminate the risk of COVID-19 entirely and that you consent to taking part or to your child taking part
- Hand washing and sanitising facilities will be available on site and it is your responsibility to ensure that you wash your hands before and after visiting. It is also important to ensure hands are washed before and after handling any activity equipment or eating food
- You and/or your child agree to abide by social distancing as per current Government guidance, whilst taking part visiting or taking part in activities at Calshot Activities Centre
- Staff will be maintaining social distancing and good hygiene procedures. You understand that staff may need to break social distancing guidance to provide support, first aid or rescue
Planning your visit
- We will not be implementing a pre-booking system and will be operating on our usual turn up and climb basis
- We will be opening for longer hours with the view to spread out customers throughout the day
- Please note our adjusted opening times in the table below
- Consider when you want to climb and think about visiting during non-peak times
- We kindly ask that all climbers stay no longer than three hours during busy periods
- Should we reach capacity we will manage the three-hour climbing time and implement a queueing system accordingly
- Arrive ready to climb and only bring essential equipment
- Respect social distancing at all times of your visit
- Please sanitise your hands prior to entering the climbing area
- Payments are card only, contactless where possible
- Hire of equipment is limited please arrive with what you need
- You can speed up entry by printing and completing the appropriate form/s from this page
During your visit
- The large open space at our wall will lend itself to managing social distancing however, to assist us with this: Please do not climb on adjacent lines to other climbers
- Belayers be aware of others, allow space for others to walk past you
- We have sanitising stations and hand washing facilities available
- Sanitise your hands regularly during your climbing session – ensure hands have fully dried before handling equipment as alcohol in sanitisers can damage some PPE
- Remember to complete buddy checks before climbing
- Buddy checks can be completed following social distancing guidance
- Show your partner your knot so they can visually check it, squeeze test all karabiners whilst your partner is watching
- Communicate effectively and only start climbing once all checks complete
- Also remember that you might be out of climbing practice!
- Please look out for pinch points around the wall and for signs detailing reduced capacity in some areas around the wall.
- Wash or sanitise your hands on your departure
Direct debit members will be contacted directly about their payments start date. If you hold a current annual membership with us (£8 for the year) we are extending your membership for four months to cover the lock down period.
Café and other facilities
The Café is open for take away goodies with a reduced menu. Toilets are available.
We will be reviewing our taught session offering in line with Government guidance and the ABC advice throughout August. At present we will not be running any taught sessions (our climb clubs, ladies' night, training night and courses etc). We will update you in due course.
- 1200 square meters of climbing
- 42 top rope lines with about 125 routes
- 35 lead lines with about 100 routes
- 10 Auto belay lines with about 30 routes
- dedicated Bouldering and Traversing area with about 70 problems
- new routes set every week
Recreational Climbing and Bouldering
The wall is open daily for experienced climbers to train and climb recreationally. We run a variety of courses for beginners and experienced climbers wishing to improve. We also have an active junior club program.
Experienced climbers - Before using the roped walls will have to demonstrate via an assessment that they can:
- put on a harness
- tie into the rope
- belay another climber
Experienced boulderers can register for bouldering only use of the wall.
New to climbing - You will either need to complete one of our beginners’ courses or be signed in as a guest of a full member.
|*Temporary climbing wall opening hours||Open|
|Monday||2pm to 10pm|
|Tuesday||2pm to 10pm|
|Wednesday||2pm to 10pm|
|Thursday||2pm to 10pm|
|Friday||2pm to 10pm|
|Saturday||10am to 5.30pm|
|Sunday (and Bank Holidays)||10am to 5pm|
|Weekday off peak times||2pm to 5pm|
|Weekend off peak times||3pm to 5.30pm Sat / 5pm Sun|
*Times are temporary and may change during September. Please keep checking for updated times before you travel.
The Wall at Calshot is open all year round to Wall members and experienced visitors.
Become a climbing wall member
We have a range of entry and membership options available to climbers.
|Membership features include||Standard||Direct debit||Boulder only||Visitor||Guest #||Junior #||Youth|
|Initial climbing assessment||yes||yes||no||yes||no||no||yes|
|Unlimited visits *||no||yes||no||no||no||no||no|
|Pay per visit||yes||no||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Discounted members entry||yes||no||yes||no||no||no||no|
|Use of roped walls||yes||yes||no||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Use of auto belays||yes||yes||no||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Use of bouldering wall||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Can sign in 2 guests ~||yes||yes||no||no||no||no||no|
|Age 16 and 17||no||no||no||no||yes||no||yes|
|Age up to 17||no||no||no||no||yes||yes||no|
# must be supervised by adult member
* during normal opening hours
~ subject to being awarded full membership during initial assessment
Get more from your wall membership
These sessions are free to climbing wall members.
Discounted sessions when an adult member (full or individual) can sign in 2 under18’s. The cost includes the climbing for all the group and free kit hire for all group members. At just £22 you could save over 50% off normal entry and hire fees. Available Wednesday & Thursday entry before 5pm and all day Saturday.
Need to get stronger for climbing this session is for you. Starting with a 30 minute circuits style training session followed by a suggested training session on the wall. This evening is a great way to build up your strength and stamina. Tuesday evenings from 6.30pm.
This session run by one of our female instructors normally includes a group warm up, a short coaching session and a suggested climbing plan for the evening. It is a great way to improve your climbing and meet other like-minded female climbers. Monday evenings from 6.30pm.
Join our climbing wall Facebook group to keep up to date with the latest events, activities and route setting on the wall.
Climbing courses and youth climbing clubs
With the huge range of climbing walls available at Calshot our wall is the ideal environment to learn to climb or develop your skills.
For Adults and families, children age 12+, we have a range of courses for total novices and experienced climbers wishing to develop their climbing from taster sessions to learning to lead.
We also run a series of climbing courses and clubs for young people from 4 years to 18 years old. These give an exciting, progressive and safe way for young people to develop as climbers.
Tailor made sessions adapted for you and your needs!
Learn at your rate with an experienced instructor. These sessions are often the quickest way to learn and pick up skills. Book as an individual, small group or family!
Prices start at £52 for 45mins with additional participants charged at a 50% discount. For groups of 3 or more please contact the Centre.
Please contact the Centre for more information or if you wish to book private tuition.
Experiences and Birthday Parties
If you are new to climbing and just fancy a quick hit of fun we recommend our Take off or Laser Climb Experiences!
It is also worth exploring the range of other Action Adventure Experiences which run every weekend and during school holidays.
We offer lots of party options with or without party rooms included. Take off or laser climb parties are brilliant fun.