The Royal Victoria Hospital at Netley was handed over to the Americans in January 1944 ahead of the invasion of Normandy in June that year. In this interactive session, students will explore D-Day events from the perspective of the US Navy.
In this interactive session, students will learn about:
- Conditions in the trenches and how soldiers were injured in WW1
- Medical preparations for the Normandy invasions
- Conditions at the Royal Victoria Military Hospital
- Equipment, medicines and the treatment of war casualties
- The stories of some individual staff and patients of the hospital during D-Day
This session can be adapted as an outreach activity if you are unable to timetable a visit to the Park.