Apply for a dropped kerb

What is involved
  • Lowering of the kerbs at the edge of the road to allow access to the householder's property/ driveway
  • Strengthening of the crossing from your property boundary to the edge of the road
  • It may be necessary to move or protect street light columns, railings and bollards and any pipes or cables etc belonging to public utilities underneath the crossing
What happens after you apply

On receipt of your completed application form and associated £145 fee, a Hampshire County Council engineer will visit the site to determine its suitability. Following this assessment we will write back to you with the outcome. This letter will consist of one of the following:

  • site approval for your vehicle crossing works; this will be valid for a period of 12 months from the date of the letter. If construction of the crossing is not possible within this time you must contact the Council within 28 days of expiry to the deadline. An extension of 3 months may then be applied dependent upon a review
  • rejection of your application and justification for this outcome

Should your application for a vehicle crossing be approved you will then be able to appoint your own contractor to carry out the works.

Appointing a private contractor

Hampshire County Council is unable to recommend private contractors.

The contractor you appoint must:

  • hold £10m public liability insurance and indemnify both the applicant and Hampshire County Council on an appropriate certificate
  • have operatives and supervisors who are trained and accredited to the requirements of the Codes of Practice under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991
  • obtain a Section 171 Licence to excavate the highway. More information on this process can be found on our road opening licence webpage
  • determine whether there is public utility apparatus that may need relocating or protecting. If this is the case the contractor should contact the relevant public utility company, or Scottish and Southern Energy where there are required changes to street lighting