Travel vouchers

An alternative to the disabled person’s bus pass for Hampshire residents making journeys within the county

Who can apply

Travel vouchers are an enhancement to the scheme for disabled people who are unable to use a bus service however are able to use taxi transport. Vouchers can be used in part or full payment of your fare. Vouchers are not transferable and cannot be exchanged for cash or replaced if lost or damaged.

Travel vouchers are an alternative to the bus pass. You cannot have both. To use community transport services we recommend you apply for a disabled person’s bus pass.

You are eligible if any of the following apply:

  • are blind or partially sighted,
  • are profoundly or severely deaf,
  • are without speech,
  • have a disability, or injury, which has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk,
  • have no arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms,
  • have a severe learning disability, including an arrested state of development from birth,
  • would be refused a driving licence due to physical fitness (section 92 of the Road Transport Act 1988)
  • are a member or veteran of the Armed Services who has been seriously injured in service
  • DVLA long term refusal or withdrawal of driving licence on medical grounds (at least 12 months)
  • persons in residential accommodation

Terms and conditions for use of Travel vouchers

Our privacy notice.

Documents you need to provide

To qualify for travel vouchers you will need to provide one of the following as evidence of your disability, your name and Hampshire address must be the same as provided on your application and your evidence:

  • Hampshire County Council Blue Badge number or please provide the issuing authority name and the badge number to allow us to check your record
  • award letter for the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance
  • award letter for a War Pensioners Mobility Allowance
  • award letter for guaranteed income payment for tariff levels 1-8 under the 2005 Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • letter from the DVLA giving notice of long term refusal or withdrawal of driving licence on medical grounds (misuse of alcohol or drugs are not included under this scheme) OR confirmation from a healthcare professional advising that you are unable to drive because of prescribed medication and its effects
  • award letter for personal independence payment (PIP) where you have been awarded at least 8 points or more for the PIP "Moving Around" or "Communicating Verbally" activities
  • audiology evidence demonstrating severe hearing loss – 70-95 dB OR registered with HCC Deaf Services as Deaf (BSL British Sign Language)
  • Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI)
Apply for travel vouchers

You will need to provide

  • a current passport sized colour photograph with your name and date of birth printed on the back
  • proof of Hampshire address (e.g. copy of your driving licence or utility bill)
  • provide your evidence of disability

If you don’t have the above documents, you will need to provide alternative evidence. Your name and address must be the same as provided on your application form.

Send a completed application form and all the relevant documents to: Bus Pass Team, PO Box 696, Fareham, PO14 9PD.

Please do not send original documents, they will not be returned to you.

Upon receipt we will review your application and if successful the travel vouchers will be posted to you. We will contact you if further information is required.

When you can use your travel vouchers

You will receive £36 worth of travel vouchers per year or pro-rated if you apply during the year.

They can be used on journeys which start or finish in Hampshire.

Travel vouchers do not entitle you to discounted fares, you will need to pay the full fare for all services. Travel vouchers can be used to pay your fare, either in part or in full, on:

  • Dial a Ride
  • Call & Go
  • taxis (Hackney carriage and private hire)
  • voluntary car schemes

Not all taxis and voluntary car schemes will accept the vouchers.

This list is not exhaustive and other operators may accept travel vouchers, please check before travelling.

Operators/organisations who accept travel vouchers

Reimbursement form for taxi companies

Bank form for taxi companies


You cannot use your vouchers on:

  • local bus services
  • rail services
  • ferries
  • Shopmobility
Renewing your travel vouchers

New travel vouchers will automatically be issued to you each year subject to some eligibility checks.

Please ensure we have your current address details by telling us if you move house otherwise your vouchers may be sent to your old address.

If you are moving into Hampshire you will need to apply as a new customer.

Moving house

Voucher holders who move house since the issue of their current vouchers or are moving out of the Hampshire area are reminded to advise the County Council of their new address by completing the change of address notification form (for current Hampshire County Council customers only) and remember to tell your old authority you have moved out of their area.

Lost or stolen travel vouchers

Unfortunately we are unable to replace lost or stolen vouchers. Let us know if you no longer need your vouchers or would like to swap to a bus pass.