Follow our safety tips and stay safe on Hampshire roads.
- When you’re driving
- Look out for cyclists, especially at junctions - make eye contact if possible so they know you've seen them.
- Give cyclists space when overtaking them, leaving as much room as you would give a car. If there isn't sufficient space to pass, hold back. Remember that cyclists may need to manoeuvre suddenly, for example if it's windy or if a car door is opened.
- Always check for cyclists when you open your car door.
- When you’re cycling
- Ride positively, decisively and well clear of the kerb.
- Look and signal to show drivers what you plan to do and make eye contact where possible so you know drivers have seen you particularly at junctions.
- Ride a door’s width from parked cars in case the door opens suddenly.
- Follow the Highway Code including observing 'stop' and 'give way' signs and traffic lights.